Rjivi Fender Emblems

Guest D. Yaros

Guest D. Yaros

I am a new owner of an 85 Rivi (Conv). The "Riviera" script on the rt. front fender needs replacement. I have another. Understand they are glued on?

QUESTIONS ARE: 1) What (chemical) do I use to remove the glued on old script without damaging the paint? 2) What adhesive do I use to attach the replacment script?

Thanks

D. Yaros

D.

They are held on with doubled sided foam tape from the factory. They can be carefully pryed off with a plastic body filler applicator.(bondo spreader!) 3M make an adhesive remover that will remove any residue from the fender, but be aware it will remove any polishes, sealants or waxes that you have in that area as well. NAPA or any autobody supply store will have the tape to reattach the emblem. A little careful trimming and you should be good as new.

Tim

Guest D. Yaros

Tim:

Thanks for the info. I do not relish trying to pry the faulty emblem loose, but not much choice.

Does the 3M adhesive remover have a name? Would soaking the emblem first in, like say, rubbing alcohol be a good idea. My thinking is it would be best to try and soften the adhesive before prying?

Again, thanks.

Dave

For what it's worth, I have heard (though never tried) removing an adhesive applied emblem can also be accomplished with fishing line held taunt between you hands, using the line to "cut" away the adhesive.

Just another idea. Those more experienced with body/trim work can chime in.

Dave and Dan,

That is a unique way of cutting the old emblem off, but most of the originally applied ones are not that hard to remove. Heat from a hair dryer can also be used to soften the tape that holds the emblem in place. The 3M product is available at any autobody supply company and I believe it is called 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover. I thought I had a can in the garage, but I must have used it all!

Tim

Guest D. Yaros

I put the same question to the folks at 3M. The reply was interesting. DAN, ARE YOU LISTENING?

What 3M advised was:

Use a piece of monofilament fishing line with several knots tied in it to saw through the attachment tape. Then clean up the emblem/fender with a citrus based cleaner, followed up with rubbing alcohol.

Dave Yaros