Straight 8 Buick Spark Plug Wrench

Guest soldier

Guest imported_arbys

A friend found me an old Craftsman socket with thin, thin walls to fit the recess. I suppose you could take a regular socket and grind the sidewalls down.

Guest imported_Thriller

Another possibility is something I just did with my '56 322. A variety of places sell a thin-walled socket with 2 ends for motorcycles / small engines (in Canada, NAPA carries them). On the one I have, using the 13/16" socket on the spark plug leaves the 3/4" side exposed - a 7/8" socket fits relatively well over top of that, so I could still use a ratchet.

If you don't want to go that route, try a discount store for a cheap socket set. They tend to have thinner walls than a better socket. I kept a set like that, but I'm just not sure where it is any more.

I'm just trying to find a super thin deep socket, or an old deep stamped steel wrench thin enough to change the plugs. Most of those old stamped steel wrenches are probably long gone, and most modern deep sockets are to thick to go down into the spark plug recess. I am considering turning down a modern deep socket enough to fit, but would like to find a period or replica wrench if possible.

I use a turned down deep socket with a 1/2" drive for my regular shop work.

I did find a pressed steel double end socket wrench that a swap meet. I carry it in the car in my "doctor's bag".

It has a hole to put a screw driver through it to turn it & it takes up very little room in my bag along with the screw driver & other tools that I always carry.

Guest imported_Thriller

Something like this Mark?

Sorry about the focus...perhaps I tried getting in too close or should have tried the super macro...sigh.

I got this with a tune up kit for a small engine I have, but it is the same as what NAPA had here.

post-33068-143137948797_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest soldier

I had a 1/2" drive 7/8" deep socket turned down to 1 1/8" OD, and it works fine, but would still like to find a period wrench to carry in the car.