Acorn Nuts

Restorer32

My first thought is to use 1/2 X 20 and drill and tap out for 9/16 X 18. May not need any drilling. Two step method, start with taper tap and finish with blunt-bottoming tap. McMaster-Carr has stainless acorns with varing sizes on the flats (i.e. meat to work with), but G-W has nicer styles. Taps available from McMaster or Travers machine in NY.

Chris

Some one surely must have them. You could always use a 5/8 SS nut. Thread in a bolt, silver solder, cut off and face, drill and tap. Since it's already in the lathe cutting the more pointy style to a dome is easy. When done polish to taste. Of course time is money and if you are in the business those nuts will probably cost about $50 apiece...Bob

Further measurement shows that rethreaded 1/2" acorns will not work. The flat to flat measurement is too small to do what they need to do. I guess we can buy 7/8" stainless hex and lathe then drill and tap but that's a tough way to get 12 acorn nuts. Hope the customer has a sense of humor!

I saw these last year at Hershey in the chocolate field, in what used to be the "annex". I don't remember the spot number or the supplier, but that's all they had was chrome and stainless nuts, bolts and washers - most sizes, big and small. They weren't cheap seems like $11 each? or something like that for engine cylinder head nuts. I opted out for the chrome acorn nut covers from JC Whitney ( about $12/dozen). Now that I've got them, I don't know how to put them on - they would be a very tight fit. I'm afraid to force them on for fear of splitting them or hurting something else.

Larry

Acorn Nuts are listed in the Machinery’s Handbook under Low and High Crown (Blind, Acorn) Nuts. (recommended Practice J483a)

A .5625”-18 is .875” across the flats. A full page is listed with the depths drills and all the information you need except for chrome plate. Don’t chrome plate the threads! Effective depth of full threads is .560”. and 13 columns of other dimensions!

Surely somewhere there are firms who make and or stock these items altho you may have to chrome plate them. One also must remember that Chrome Plated Acorn Nuts are decorative! The may not be High Tensile for head bolts. Are you going to try to put these on the head studs?

M.L. Anderson

I looked <span style="font-weight: bold">forever </span>for the same sized nuts. I finally found several companies that sell them - once I stumbled onto websites offering parts for Harley-Davidson motorcycles. I didn't save any of the names of the sites, but it won't take you long to find them.

They sure look nice on the ends of the bumper bolts on my '30 Marmon!

Just to update this thread. I have looked high and low for these 9/16 Domed Head Acorn nuts. Apparently they are not available anywhere on this green Earth. I have contacted all the suppliers mentioned on this thread plus a few others, no go! I guess we will just spend the time at the lathe and make the little rascals. I can find pointed head acorns from several sources but they are threaded too deeply to simply turn down the points. These nuts are to go on the bumper end bolts for a '27 Kissel Brougham. Let's see, 12 nuts @ maybe 3/4 hour each to lathe, drill, thread and polish times 12....Just one more frustration to deal with. Don't you just love old cars?

I had intend to look in my hardware collection when the thread first started and forgot. I just ran out to the shop and I have 6 5/8 dome acorn nuts. Have no idea where I picked them up but they are new. Is 5/8 to large to sleeve down?

5/8" are too wide across the flats to work, 1/2" are too narrow. Thanks anyway for the attempt to help. We are constantly amazed at the collective knowledge and experience of those on this forum. As most of you know, restoration is basically a long series of "problems" that need solved. We work on quite a fair number of early vehicles and are constantly frustrated at the ever increasing difficulty of finding parts, materials and services that were readily available when we began restoring 30 years ago. Can't even find slotted wood screws in the hardware store anymore, have to order them. 7/16" and 9/16" bolts, studs, etc are becoming more difficult to find as well. All part of the challenge I guess. Thanks again !

Restorer32 - have not mentioned it earlier, as it seemed this thread was under control. But one of the wholesale suppliers with whom we have an account lists this acorn nut, however minimum order is 100 pieces. Will get a price if there is enough interest. I don't want any, they don't fit any carburetor of which I am aware, and I already have a small fortune tied up in hardware of various sizes. These are listed as stainless.

Jon.

The answer here is in the detail. Reread the original post: Restorer32 wanted low crown, not pointed "bullet" style acorns. AIR Fasteners in that size appear to be bullet shape. Its possible to chuck them into a lathe and take off the bullet tip depending how far the acorn nut was threaded and then have them rechromed.

Still no source for 9/16" LOW CROWN ACORNS. Can't simply lathe down the pointed end ones as those are threaded too deeply. Can't rethread smaller or larger nuts, the flat to flat size would not work. No alternative but to make them. As with most unusual hardware items, regardless of where you buy them they are actually the product of one of just a few manufacturers. Thanks everyone for the effort. Does anyone need 9/16"x18 LOW CROWN ACORNS while we're making the 12 we need? Bargain at $20 each!

Restorer32,

Maybe these guys can find them for you www.brafasco.com

They have a store close to where I work so I stopped in there one day to see what they have. I was looking for stainless steel nuts and bolts but they didn't stock them so they were able to order them for me. Had them in a few days.

Store Info

2400 Landmeier

Elf Grove Village IL 60007

TEL 847-427-1600

FAX 847-427-1616