1924 Model 51

DaveAspi

I have come across a 24-6-51. No engine or drive train, no interior, but the frame is good, the wood wheels are good, has a lot of surface rust and the top is gone, but plenty of salvagable metal all around. Any info out there? Is it worth a "total" restoration? Let me know how to post pictures, or I can forward a couple of pix. Thanks, Dave

If the car's roof is gone as you say, then most of the wood in the body is probably rotted away. On a 4-dr. sedan, even if it is the big 50 series, with that much other stuff missing (engine, drivetrain, interior, etc.), it probably isn't worth the cost, time, and trouble of a full restoration. Wood replacement on these cars is a major, major job. This one sounds like its best use is a parts car or (I can't believe I'm actually saying this) a street rod.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

I don't think there is much you could do with this car except sell body parts from it on eBay. I don't even think it would make a very good street rod, the frames are too narrow and flimsy and the bodies not very attractive to our rod friends. Restoration would be a nightmare, it is extrememly difficult to find the thousands of parts that are missing from your find.

If the wheels and rims are good, there is a strong need for them from the few folks that own these cars. Mechanical assemblies like rear ends, steering gears, window regulators, brake parts, radiators, headlamps and the like could probably be sold for reasonable prices. But it takes lots of time and patience to get it done.

I restored and still have 1927 51, but I started with a very complete car. No way I would attempt to do that with what you've got. These cars are fun to own, but they are not worth a great deal in today's market.

Bill

Albuquerque

Dave,

The 24-51 that you found is the fourth one that I have known of. There was a restored one for sale not far from me about ten years ago with an asking price around $11k. There is one that sounds like yours but it had no doors down Texas way. Then there is the one that I bought about ten years ago. To say it was in bad shape is an understatement. It was a complete car, even down to the crank hole cover, but it had wood rot. It was so bad that I took the car apart with my hands. I kept what I needed for my '24 and '25 Buick and the rest went to the Texas car.

My point in telling you this is that this was a car in much better shape than yours and it was still not worth restoring. Besides the bad wood the lower metal was weak or even missing along the aprons. It broke my heart to part it but I had no choice. I still have the rear side window regulator if anyone needs it.