1965 riviera GS question ( I need help)

Guest ejc65

Im currently in negotionations with a guy on his 65 GS. I had a few questions the motor is lx block but not matching numbers. Well the question is this, the build date is 12c and he has the big gran sport emblems on car. I was under the impression that they swithed to the big gran sport emblems in january of 1965.Should this gs have small emblems ( baby gran sport) Any input or knowlege would be helpful.

Thanks

Eric

Eric,

Here's a link to the Riviera Owners Assn' website that explains the evolution of the Gran Sport. I think most of your questions can be answered from this article. However, you have to remember it is not possible to determine if a car is a Gran Sport by the VIN number and an unscrupulous seller could create a clone. The GS package was nothing more than an option. The link will tell you some other things to look at to help you determine if in fact the car you're looking at is a true GS or perhaps a clone. The seller could have found a salvaged/wrecked GS and swapped the parts to a regular '65. But, that wouldn't be much different than what they did at the factory. Is the seller asking a really high price just becasue he says the car is a GS? It was also possible to get an LX engine in other body styles as well as the Riviera. I think, but I'm not positive, that you can tell the car model from the VIN number. Caveat Emptor.

http://www.rivowners.org/features/65gs/index.html

Ed