'54 with a 401 and suspension help needed!

Gary_N

OK, I'm going to make the purists mad, but my the plan for my '54 is to modify it with a stock 401 and TH400. I was thinking of a '65 or later for the switch pitch trans--although I'm still not sure how much of a difference that will make as compared to a '64 trans. Anyway, has anyone done anything similar?

Also, I'd like to update the suspension to the mid '60's, with maybe a '70's rear end. Has anyone done anything like this?

Thanks!

Gary

Hey Gary,

You might want to see what wheelbase matches up to your Roadmaster, and then swap the body onto the frame. I considered this very briefly about ten years ago with my Special to stick on a (I think) 69 Sportswagon which had a wheelbase within an inch of my 55. That was the extent of my experience with a swap, instead choosing to restore my 55.

BTW, I think a 401 would really fill your engine compartment nicely and look extremely nice.

Mike

Guest imported_MrEarl

there was a wrecked 94 Roadmaster on Craigs list the other day I had thoughts of sitting a 54 Super body on. Bet it would come close to fitting.

Gary, you mirror my tentative plans for my 55 Special Sedan.

I had a 401 engine and trans from a '64 that was "stolen" by a scrap guy. So now the plan has shifted to a 455/TH400.

I too thought about a frame swap from a 96 Caprice 9C1 (police car) but have rethought this to use the 55's frame with a 9"

Ford rear end and leaf springs to keep it simple.

One of my friends and I are plotting to start the project next year, so now the parts collecting begins.

My only major concern is with the frame's x-member, if it will cause any propshaft interference. If so, out comes the x, and in with boxing the frame rails.

The front brakes conversion is between Disc Brake Mike and Scarebird. Going to use the original steering setup. The only other major addition will be a heat/air conditioning setup. Externally, it will appear to be original except for wheels, at this time Torque Thrusts is the plan. Changing the color scheme to Cherokee Red/Carlsbad Black with a matching interior, the only change there is '64 Corvair bucket seats to match.

IF you want, private e-mail me. We can share notes as we both progress. Tentative starting date for my car is next spring.

Hey GmP,

Try using 63-64 Buick/ Impala buckets. It keeps it in the Buick Family and they are really comfy. Also, I think you ought to try using original upholstery from a 55 in the 63 pattern. That is what I would do at least. Also, even slammed in the weeds, I think the Skylark wheels look bitchin', not quite as "street-roddy".

Obviously, my opinion, but I have always wanted to do what you guys are talking about.

Mike

Guest rlbleeker

I've got a wrecked '64 Wildcat with a bucket/console interior. I plan on using the whole drivetrain/interior as a donor for my '37 Special, sounds like a good plan for a '55 too.

I've seen a few frame swaps and generally that involves fabricating a whole new floor to get the fit and body mounts right. If not, your probably looking at some pretty funky bracketry and a body that sits a little high on the frame due to clearance issues. There might be the perfect donor from out there though, I don't know.

Personally, I'd stick with the original frame and swap in a later coil spring rear. Leaf spring is a little easier, but inferior in my opinion, depends on your fabrication abilities.

GMPartsMan:

The X frame bothers me. Mainly since I can't use my 2 post lift to pick up my '64 Electra. I've gone back and forth on this. I want the car to be stock for all practical purposes. Just a little lower and more modern underneath. Even if perfectly restored, I don't it's worth more that if there were some modifications done. I'm not a dynaflow fan for the most part and they are expensive to rebuild. I've found a 401 with a TH400 switch pitch for about $600. But you can almost buy a whole car for about $800. I'm with you on the rear. I've heard that using an 80's Camaro rear end is a good match and the spring perches line up. And, you could most likely get some disc brake action going.

As far as the front end??? I think the only way to go is a modern rack. I think there are a few mid 80's cars to choose from or you can buy new clips for about $2,500.

I just can't bring myself to put the body on a late model. Don't ask me why. I'd rather modify the stock frame.

In any event, I think with a 401 and TH400 trans, this would make one beautiful ride. It has to stay Buick. And I love my 401 now. Lot's of power.

My email is gnoub51@gmail.com. Let's share notes.

Gary

• 1 month later...

Did you guys see this article?

http://www.webrodder.com/article.php?AID=207&SID=60

This is posted on the BCA website, under the "News and Photo" tab, look for the useful Links option. Thentravel down the page. The conversion of the 52 frame to accept a 4 link conversion is laid out for anyone to follow.

Thanks for finding this Roberta. It's a great option for updating the original frame.

JD

• 1 month later...

I have been absent from this forum for a while because of other projects, I think I have responded to this type of question before.

I have a '40 Buick Super 4dr, sdn. which we are upgrading. I wanted to keep the Buick all Buick, only with later model mechanical components. In the following you will find my modifications:

Engine, 401 bored .60, modified cam, electronic ignition.

Trans, ST 400 dual range turbo (1965,66 Buick)

***Trans consul w/shifter, etc., is from a '65 Riviera.

Diff. 1965 Buick Riviera w/Chevy pickup trailing arms.

Front suspension. Upper control arms 55/56 Buick adapted to fit '40 Buick by drilling frame.

Shocks, 55'56 Pontiac shock towers with tube type shocks. Steering gears... GM 605, bolt in application.

Front brakes, 66 Buick Riviera bolted to '51/52 Roadmaster backing plates, that bolted right onto the '40 spindles.

Wheels, Buick Roadmasters 15x6.5 with stock '40 Buick caps and Roadmaster trim rings.

Basicly, with the exception of the Chevy tailing arms to hang the rear end, the modifications were all done using a combination of Buick parts. I was able to use the Riviera drums on the front/rear. The '40 Buick pitman arm will bolts right onto the 605 gear box by just filing/grinding one spline tooth out of the sector shaft to clear the flat indexing guide on the pitman arm....Bill

• 2 weeks later...

If things go well we will be hanging all the pieces to the puzzle together in the next several weeks. Right now everything is built and/or rebuilt.

The Chevy pickup trailing arms we are using for the rear axle are standard 1/2-3/4 ton, '63-68 Chevy. The Chevy pickups from '63-68 had coil springs and tube shocks, when you bolt the trailing arms, using large U bolts, onto the Buick rear axle housing, the '40 Buick springs will seat into the Chevy spring pockets. Brackets for the shocks to chassis have to fabricated as does brackets for the mounting of the trailing arms adjacent to the X member of the frame.

When we get the setup mounted into the chassis I will have everything well documented with photo's....Bill

• 3 weeks later...

Came across an early 60's pickup today and tooka look at how the trailing arms are attached to the frame. There is a cross brace rivited to the box frame and the trailing arms are hooked to a mount attached to that cross brace. Considering the X frame in the Buick something would still ahev to be made to get the trailing arms straight back to the rear axle. I took these photos, although they may not be completely clear. This is no way as pretty as the set up shown in the link Roberta put on the BCA site, but it gets the job done.

post-32834-143137964467_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137964468_thumb.jpg

post-32834-143137964472_thumb.jpg