TEXACO CAR OF THE DECADE RATINGS FIXED

gaageer

I don't think anything has been fixed. Evidently the Texaco people found some irregularaties going on and TRIED to make some adjustments to the vote count. There is no way to fix something like this other than to shut down the contest. Playing with the numbers is an effort, but it still leaves a bad taste to an environment that should have never taken place. I saw things going South right after the voting took place, and I contacted the Texaco people at email address pngo@uritechnology.com and voiced my concerns that there was recognizable vote manipulation going on, and that I wanted for both of my cars to be removed from that fiasco. What has transpired on that site is not fun, puts a bad taste in peoples mind, and is no way to present a collector car to others to show what we all are familiar with, and that is to have a good time while showing off our pride and joy's to an accepting venue. To be rated in a way to bring down the feelings that legitamate admirers have felt rewarding is ludicrous. And for the Stumpjumper people to go after nice cars to build themselves up is the way it was done. No sir, I don't want any part of Texaco and their car show. If magically I should win anything, I will NOT accept anything that Texaco has to offer, nor will I ever visit another Texaco station for what has transpired on that site. That site represents Chevron Texaco. I will leave it at that.

~ 67RedCharger ~

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DRD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't think anything has been fixed. Evidently the Texaco people found some irregularaties going on and TRIED to make some adjustments to the vote count. There is no way to fix something like this other than to shut down the contest. Playing with the numbers is an effort, but it still leaves a bad taste to an environment that should have never taken place. I saw things going South right after the voting took place, and I contacted the Texaco people at email address pngo@uritechnology.com and voiced my concerns that there was recognizable vote manipulation going on, and that I wanted for both of my cars to be removed from that fiasco. What has transpired on that site is not fun, puts a bad taste in peoples mind, and is no way to present a collector car to others to show what we all are familiar with, and that is to have a good time while showing off our pride and joy's to an accepting venue. To be rated in a way to bring down the feelings that legitamate admirers have felt rewarding is ludicrous. And for the Stumpjumper people to go after nice cars to build themselves up is the way it was done. No sir, I don't want any part of Texaco and their car show. If magically I should win anything, I will NOT accept anything that Texaco has to offer, nor will I ever visit another Texaco station for what has transpired on that site. That site represents Chevron Texaco. I will leave it at that.

~ 67RedCharger ~ </div></div>

I don't think anything's been fixed, either.

Did they remove your car when you asked? I noticed that there was a 1953 Corvette and now it's gone. I suggested that they simply drop the points, let everyone enjoy each other's cars and let the judges decide decade winners. The same goal is accomplished without the animosity.

I also suggested that they remove the negative comments and police new ones. The SDC site assumes that we are the ones leaving negative comments. If that's true then you need to stop. I don't see where that has served any good at all.

I believe the SDC people are good people that, like all communities, have a few bad apples. I don't think that we should paint the SDC with the broad stroke of guilt. The people that "over-voted" know who they are. I believe that the Texaco people now know, too. I believe that people that left anonymous negative messages were wrong, too. Not on the same level, IMO, but pretty nasty, none the less.

All it takes is one geek with 200 e-mail addresses, and no life, to ruin a good time for so many others.

I don't know exactly how they determined what adjustments needed to be made, but if they correctly removed the votes from fraudulent email addresses, I am guessing some of the fraudulent email addresses must have voted me 14 "1" ratings to lower my score when the site was averaging scores. My score dropped from 155 to 141 today, and 1929 Lincoln is still kicking my butt.

I agree with Barry that some of the comments that have been left on that site should not have been allowed by the sponsors. While I am a great advocate of free speech, I really don't like false statements. Some of the statements appear to me to be false accusations against some of the car owners. The owners of those cars should not be held accoutable for the actions of the misguided 2 or 3 who manipulated the scores.

Now, can we please attempt to move on and talk about this in a positive manner? I don't want to rehash the previous nasty discussion at all.

I would like to encourage everybody to vote for whatever cars that they like. (Hopefully that will include my 1929 Ford Model A Phaeton.) In case you missed it, here is a link that will allow you easy access to vote:

http://www.texacocarofthedecades.com/Default.aspx

I really need to get all of my friends and all of my family's friends to vote or 1929 Lincoln is going to beat me bad! blush.gif

So... Let's all keep it nice please.... smile.gif

Remember the goal is to show off your cars to others and possibly win a prize. i am glad that texaco took some action. is it enough? who knows but it showed that they have exerted some control. I continue to vist often and will until the end. i will give you a vote and comment mchinson at the end when it is all locked up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I don't think anything's been fixed, either.

Did they remove your car when you asked? I noticed that there was a 1953 Corvette and now it's gone. I suggested that they simply drop the points, let everyone enjoy each other's cars and let the judges decide decade winners. The same goal is accomplished without the animosity.

</div></div>

Barry, You sound like good people, and you hit the nail on the head. Exactly what I suggested to my communique at the Texaco site Peter Ngo at pngo@uritechnology When I saw the thing going banannas, I suggested that if they just let the judges do their thing, then all of this negativism would go by the wayside, and that I would stick around for the results. Peter said that they would have a meeting today and try to sort things out. I told him in my corrispondence that I no longer wanted anything to do with the contest and to let me out of the competition, as it wasn't fun any longer. I told him that if for some reason, I started placing where the judges would consider either of my cars, that I would not accept any recognition is such a farce. I know what I have, and neither car is deserving of what has taken place. 29Lincoln, Thanks for your offer to vote for my cars, but I am not seeking any futher votes. I don't want to let people down with their decision. I have a 1959 Impala Convertible with a 348 tri-power engine, and straight gear 3 on the tree with a Posi Traction rear end. the car is appraised at $150,000.00 and for that 63 Avanti to whoop up on such a car is ridiculous. The Chevy is on the cover of Hubbard's Impala Parts, Catalog. It is on the third page of the 50 decades. The other car is a 1967 Red Dodge Charger, that is my baby. It is on the 3rd page of the 60's decade. It is appraised at $75,000.00 A whole lot of history with the Charger from being the Original owner to the way it has been accepted by my fella Mopar people. It has appeared in Hot Rod Magazine, Mopar Muscle Magazine, Speedway Mag, and three different newspapers, It has been on WGHP-TV8, in High Point, N.C. 3 times and it will be on the Good Morning show at WGHP on 5 October. Herb McCandless had his hands in on the restoration of the engine. I had a hard time of getting Ray Evernham, to leave the car alone when it was in a photoshoot at his Motor Sports location in Statesville, N.C. The photoshoot was for MSD Electronic Ignitions. The car was serviced at Sox Sinclair by Ronnie Sox's dad, Willard Milo Sox back when the car was under warranty, and I have the paper trail left by Mr. Sox. I will be showing the car to Cotton Owens on September 29 at a car show at Occoneechee-Orange Speedway URL for that is http://www.historicspeedwaygroup.org

Everyone here that reads my ramblings, I feel knows exactly the delight that comes my way when the car attracts attention, the way it has since I restored her. That is the main reason we all go to car shows is to show off our cars. The idea to show appreciation by running the car down to build up one's standing in a competative environment is wrong, pure and simple. Once the damage is done, it will be hard to make a correction. I will never enter another internet car show. And the kicker of my feeling is that I am restoring a 1950 Studebaker Champion, and this fiasco has made it difficult to enjoy the restoration of that car. I am a member of the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum, and I will seek a way to get removed from that forum. I have posted 2 messages on that forum, only to get shot down by the doo gooders there to keep my yap shut. When I get my 50 Champion finished, there will be some that will contend with that car only to be whooped up on by an Aqua Green 4 door Bullet nose 6 cylinder. If yaw look at my two cars, you will see to what extent I restore my cars. They all go back original and thanks to the people that do the work, they are perfect in every detail. I am a member of the Alamance Region AACA in Burlington, N.C. I hope I haven't left a bad taste with my feelings about what has transpired with the Texaco Contest. Not my intentions at all.

~ Don ~

I also hope the voting has been straightened out. Points were lowered on my car and I am glad. I don't want any dishonest votes.

Don (DRD) were you "Original 50" on the SDC forum? I am sorry you had a bad experience. I don't feel the same way you do about the SDC forum. All forums have people of different opinions, but all people should let anyone speak even if they don't agree with them.

DRD,

Once, again, I don't think that we want to be paint the SDC with broad strokes of guilt. If you have specific complaints, take them up with their webmaster. I don't agree with his overall assessment of this situation, but he was civil.

Their Webmaster made a valid point that some of the blame for this situation lies with Texaco and their poor planning and software. I don't think they even gave it a thought that someone would subvert their contest the way they did.

I still believe that the negative comments on the Texaco site should stop. I think their people are making a mistake by not removing them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Barry Wolk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I still believe that the negative comments on the Texaco site should stop. I think their people are making a mistake by not removing them. </div></div>

Why would they say that it takes 24 hrs for your comments to be posted and not have any sort of check about the contents? They did not do any sort of checks and balances system. That alone would have made the outcome considerably different.

Now that this has been addressed (at leat I hope so) I looked through every car up to the 1990s (too new to interest me) and there are some really nice cars in there. I made a few comments and voted on a few as well. The ones I voted for always got a 10. I even voted for the green IH truck that seemed to be ignored as well as a couple of Studes that caught my eye. We all need some support!

Your Porsche and Continental have the best photography of any I saw. Can you drive your Porsche with the top up? In the one pic, you look like your sitting on a phone book. smile.gif

No I'm just that big. I'm 6'5" and 280 lbs. I wanted to find a Shriner's hat to go along with the car. The top is rather bulbous up, giving me plenty of room. The old Porsches have lots of leg room.

I must say that I'm pretty frustrated with the Texaco people. I'm considering withdrawing my cars from this sham. They really haven't corrected anything nor have they communicated with me as promised.

It's really not a "contest" any more. If they don't drop the points judging, I'm pulling out.

I suspect that Texaco likes things just the way they are, though. The more controversy, the more hits. I think it will leave a bad taste for most people and I believe it will hurt the trade name. Pretty dumb solution, if you ask me.

My resignation letter to Texaco.

In retrospect, it was foolish to enter my cars in your flawed "contest". Your failure to respond to my e-mails simply tells me that Texaco enjoys the conflict on the site.

Please honor my request to remove my cars immediately. You were able to add them within hours. Please remove them within the same period.

I believe that Texaco is, in great part, responsible for this debacle. Poor planning and a ridiculously slow response cause great grief for an awful lot of people.

Leaving the negative comments on car's pages is inexcusable. It appears that Texaco is fanning the flames by leaving them in place. Maybe that's what you guys want, for some twisted reason.

I believe that this "sham" contest has hurt Texaco much more than it has helped.

Barry Wolk

(313) XXX-XXXX

1956 Continental Mark II convertible

1955 Porsche Continental

another texaco recorrection went into effect. give them credit for trying. i also think that having new voters confirm before voting finally removes the cheats. yes it is a popularity contest to get to the final 11, but judges using a spelled out formula will pick the final winner. I think TEXACO has listened to the people.

Barry, I know how you feel my friend. Here is the corrispondence I have had with the Texaco people. Only a matter of time (I Hope) before I get relief:

~ Don ~

Dan, I appreciate the nice words you have sent me, however it fails to remove the ugliness of what has transpired with the contest.

It just upsets me to even sign onto the site and think of the way that not only myslf was treated, but other good people also.

If I have no reason to sign onto the site, maybe I can get over this bad feeling. Please remove both of my cars from the contest, and if

I can ever be in a position to help you in an advertisement with either of my cars, I will more than happy to oblige you or your marketing team.

The Charger was used by MSD Electronics Ignitions with Ray Evernham Motor Sports and has appeared is several magazines along with

Kasey Khane's #9 Dodge Charger. that can be verified by contacting:

Jim McGinn

RMI Atlanta

2498 Jett Ferry Road

Suite 100

Atlanta, GA 30338

770.399.9668 - phone

770.391.9518 - fax

The 59 Chevrolet is on the cover of Hubbard's Impala Parts, parts catalog for 2007, and the contact there is James Hubbard at 800-846-7252

Sorry things didn't work out by the way the car show went on the web site, but that is the internet bringing out other plans that neither of us have control over

by the way some people choose to act.

I will never enter another Internet Car show.

~ Don R. Dodson ~ 336-***-**** home or cell 336-***-****

----- Original Message -----

To: Don R. Dodson

Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2007 2:10 PM

Subject: RE: People are noticing your car

Hi Don.

We're keeping the voting submitted legitemately. For instance, we have no problem with someone spreading the word and getting a thousand friends to vote for his or her car.

However, we are removing votes from falsified email addresses.

We hope this ends the controversy and the acrimony. You've got truly beautiful cars! And as you say, they are pieces of American history. Some of my fondest memories are working on a '59 Impala in high school -- and it wasn't even mine!

It's clear that you love these cars as we do, and that seeing the ugliness surrounding them bothers you at a visceral level. It's truly a shame.

We respect your wishes, but hope you'll agree to leave your cars on the web site to see if the anger subsides. If you'd still like to remove your entry, of course we'll comply at any time that you choose.

Thanks for your interest in our contest -- and in keeping it clean. Please feel free to contact me.

----------------------------------------

Dan Goldberg

Web Producer

http://www.Texaco.com

http://www.TexacoCaroftheDecades.com

dgaj@chevron.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent: Monday, September 10, 2007 12:36 PM

To: info@carofthedecades.com

Subject: Re: People are noticing your car

I have been in contact with PETER NGO of your organization with an email address of pngo@uritechnology requesting that both of my cars be removed from

the list of cars to be considered for contention in your car show. I want NOTHING futher to do with TEXACO after what has transpired with the peace and tranquility

normally associated with a car show. This is not fun to see either one of my cars brought down to build up another person's ego. Both of my cars are perfect

cars and the Charger is a true piece of Amercian History. I am not enjoying what is going on with the Studebaker bunch going after everyone that does not

have a Studebaker. Incidently I am restoring a 1950 Studebaker and now I am ashamed to let anyone know that I even have a Studebaker from the way that bunch at the Studebaker Drivers Club Forum ia acting. I will be removing myself from that forum also. I am a member of Alamance Region AACA in North Carolina, and was following the discussions on their forum about the Car of the Decades promotion, and that blog turned into name calling and attacks as well, from the Studebaker bunch, until AACA removed the discussion. Your comments section with the cars is now turning into another means of venting anger amongst fella car enthusits. PLEASE REMOVE BOTH OF MY CARS FROM THE CONTEST . One is a 1959 Impala Convertible, and the other is my 1967 Red Dodge Charger.

Here is the email that I sent to Peter Ngo at pngo@uritechnology.com

Peter, I am a participant in the texaco car of the decades promotion, and have corrisponded with you several times about my two cars that I have entered

in the contest. I now am disgusted with the way things are going with the politics of the participants, and their unscrupulous behavior. It is my desire to be removed from the participation list and to have both of my cars removed from the contest. I have a 1959 Impala Convertible,black with a white top, and a 1967 Red Dodge Charger among the entries. I wouldn't participate in anything Texaco had to offer even if for some reason the Studebaker people allow either car to become a finalist. This ain't fun any longer and I want OUT. Can you arrange that for me? Incidently, I really appreciate your helping me with the other problems I ran into, such as the 59 not showing the results of people voting for the car. Now the votes show, but with a different meaning after the Studebaker bunch go in there, and messed things up.

I just got back from a car show with the 59 Impala today, and got 1st place with the car. It was an AACA show, and I am a member of the AACA Alamance Region, in North Carolina. Please let me know if you can help me with my request, or if not, who should I contact? Thanks Buddy!

If you read the details of the comments of both of my cars, then you can see why I feel the way I do. Both cars, especially the Charger is not deserving of the way they are being presented to the onlookers of the site. Too much history of good events with the car for me to accept any other way. And I only touched on a small fraction of the history of the car. I will be showing the car to Cotton Owens in the near future.

Don R. Dodson 67RedCharger

Hey guys, I was out of town last week, but let me reply:

1. We thought the public voting would differentiate the contest from others, while the judging panel would still give the contest some real legitimacy. We also thought it would be fun.

2. We trusted visitors to vote with integrity. I won't go into detail, but I lost an internal argument over whether to verify all emails.

3. We're keeping all votes that came from legitimate emails, and removing all votes from falsified emails. We're also removing all comments that malign other participants.

4. Voting a 1 or a 2 for a competitor won't help you because the voting is cumulative, not averaged, so you'd be better off not voting for your competitor at all.

5. Please don't think we're anti-Stude or pro-Stude or were trying to sway the contest toward or against anyone. We weren't, we aren't, and we wouldn't. We're like you. We just love cars.

6. Needless to say, we didn't see this coming. I want to apologize for a poor experience anyone is taking away from this. It was supposed to be fun! We'll take it as a learning experience, and I hope the winners will accept their prizes and that our customers won't bail on us for this.

7. I will be reviewing and responding to this forum, but you can also drop me a line at goldberg_jonas@yahoo.com (I'd give my work email, but my inbox is slammed, if you know what I mean).

8. Sorry for the long post.

Thanks!

Dan, Texaco.com Web Producer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonas419</div><div class="ubbcode-body">And one more thing:

There is no problem with getting your friends or organization to support you. Granted, it turns it into a bit of a popularity contest, but there is still time for the voting to reflect deserving winners.

Good luck everyone! </div></div>

I can name you a bunch of automotive sites that your plan hasn't worked at, either. You guys didn't re-invent the wheel, you know. As long as it's a popularity contest the only one interested will be like the ones that have the most friends on-line. That's really something to be proud of. Kinda reminds me of Junior High School.

While my cars haven't won as many trophies as DRD's ;), they've won their share.

Dan did send me a nice note.

Hi Barry.

We've been working through this issue, as you know from your email interaction with the web site. Most of this went down last week, when I was walking around Disneyland with my son.

I was of the mindset that true car enthusiasts would respect other people's cars. I get a thrill out of seeing them at car shows, friends' personal cars, on the web, guess I underestimated pride. We'll have to work out a better way next year for sure. I think it's really a shame that people would resort to cheating, but I blame us too for not taking every safeguard. Sorry for the bad experience.

One thing I have noticed that is missing is the ability to sort by ranking. You can sort by year, make model and your favorites but not by ranking. I would have thought this would have been a for sure option. Kinda odd methinks. smile.gif

Still a great way to spend some time surfing. The latest top rated car is a really nice '58 Pontiac. It really does look spectacular. The Avanti that was top rated needed different wheels but otherwise a nice car.

Hello.

I am new here. I found this site due to the Texaco controversy. I already am too involved in Forums when I should be in the garage, but I feel strongly enough to take the time to add in here.

I'm a life-long car guy; particularly old cars; especially Lincolns and Studebakers. I am a member of both forums. I love my cars, and derive much enjoyment from folks with similar interests. I can't believe how fast- and far- an innocent contest spun out of control, and the damage that was done by misunderstandings.

I am a member of the SDC. I am very involved in the forum... truly one of the best groups I've ever known! I've had the priviledge of meeting several of the members, and to a person they are exceptional people! I also know Barry Wolk to be an outstanding individual. In fact one could say I facilitated this issue because I posted about Barry's trailer project for the SDC folks to enjoy; Barry found out and only just recently became a contributor over there- and I might add was well-received. Everyone admires Barry's project, and I thought it would be cool to have the groups cross-involved; both for camaraderie and the benefit of the hobby as a whole.

Then came this contest. It was innocently posted by Leaonard Shepard, one of the finest gentlemen you could meet. The trouble seems to have started when SDC member Jeff Rice mentioned entering, and made a flip comment about "stuffing the ballot box". Barry, being new to the group, doesn't know that Jeff likes to joke, and took that as a request for SDC members to cheat. Others, being enthusiastic about their marque of choice, got in and entered their rides- nothing wrong with that.

What really got things going wrong was two members basically bragging about how they could- and were- cheating, and encouraging others to do so. I know I speak for many other SDC members when I say I was angered, embarrassed, and saddened to see that garbage. I don't know the two personally, but I like to think they now see how wrong and stupid that type of conduct is (I hope). I was so disturbed by that that after my one-sentence upbraid (I am bams50 on that forum) I wouldn't post further, nor could I even go to the contest site.

Sadly, it seems that human nature is to judge the conduct of others based on an individual or two in the same group. If one goes to the SDC forums and looks through the history, they will find that the vast majority of the group are exceptionally decent folks. Certainly there are dust-ups and disagreements, but overall it is a very agreeable bunch. We work out our disagreements, and sometimes agree to disagree, and move on. To see some say nasty things about the SDC as a whole is disappointing, to say the least.

Central to this controversy was the fight between Barry and Jeff specifically. As mentioned, I know Barry, and hold him in high regard. I have not yet met Jeff personally, except "virtually" through my long-term involvement with the SDC forum. Jeff Rice is a very accomplished guy, knowledgeable and experienced, as well as talented- and held in high regard by those that do know him. Something I do know about Jeff is his writing style can sometimes be misunderstood- by myself, for one. But having seen his involvement over the time I've been into Studes, I believe him when he says he did not want, nor would condone, cheating. What he and Barry have in common is that they can be drawn into a war of words a little too easily, and can't let go easily enough (IMveryHO)... hence the escalation... As I know Barry, when we communicated off-line about this, I told him he still of course has my respect, but I feel he's way off on this.

I write this in the sincere hope that all involved will see the big picture, and get back to the business of loving old cars! I would love to post this for my fellow SDCers, but our webmaster is saddened enough that he has forbidden any further discussion of this issue there. To Barry and Jeff, and those who got involved in defending either, I hope this can be ironed out. I'm not a "can't we all just get along" type, but it would be a shame and waste to let the acrimony over a contest damage potentially good relationships!

I bet if Barry and Jeff had this same discussion face-to-face over a cold beverage, the outcome would be MUCH better...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jonas419</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got it Don, thanks. </div></div>

Dan, I appreciate your taking care of my request. Hope you had a memorable experience at DisneyLand. Memories is something that can never be taken away from you and your Lil boy.

You must be on the East coast somewhere. I will have the 59 Impala at the Charlotte Motor Speedway, Hornet's Nest car show this coming Saturday if you are in the area. That is if it doesn't rain. If anyone else is at the show, look me up for a handshake. I like doing that sort of thing now. smile.gif

~ Don ~

Bob, that was a very nice responce. I'm a moderator on this site, and as you may have noticed I deleted the first thread resulting from this contest. I'm letting this one go, but I'm making sure we don't have anymore tirades over this Texaco business.

Please feel free to enjoy the various forums on the AACA Site, you'll be glad you did. smile.gif

Wayne

Forgot to say, Welcome to thd AACA Forum Bob. It sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of the issue. It actually got canned here too, but it sort of got resurrected in a new discussion when things started looking better.

Now, If I could just figure out how to get people to vote for my car enough to try to catch up some with 1929 Lincoln, and try to pass that Street Rod "1927 Ford"... grin.gifblush.giflaugh.gif

Thanks for posting that explanation Bob. I will have to say that Bob is a great guy, race car driver and a real car nut!

I am glad that Texaco removed the negative comments from the site and adjusted the voting. I never expected to be a winner but I just wanted to see more cars on the site. I noticed it while I was paying my Chevron bill on line.

It would be nice to win the $500 in gas though. That would fill the tank in my Dodge Ram about 5 times!

Here is what it took a few weeks ago. I was almost out of gas as it holds 34 gallons. Sorry Texaco, I was at a competitors!

post-52673-143137947853_thumb.jpg

OUCH! That looks scary. sick.gif

I now fondly recall the first time I put $10.00 of gas in a vehicle. It was a 1969 Mercury Montego Station Wagon that I almost ran out of gas before I got to the service station. It was in 1976. Before that, I had never seen 4 digits (including the cents) on a fuel pump. That was the first time that I actually thought that I would need to think about the cost of gasoline and possibly plan to actually budget for gasoline. grin.gif

Bob, one of the more thoughtful, intelligent and to the point posts we have ever had. Great post.

Texaco could have done a much better job publicizing this contest (and in return they would have had more exposure from other clubs. They probably should have talked to more car guys in setting this up.

4 weeks to Hershey! Hundreds of cars running around here today from the Glidden tour and the weather is perfect!

As a Concours organizer, recruiter, exhibitor and judge, the Texaco "contest" has asked for my input. I'm sure they will ask others for theirs. I'll ask for yours.

The problem that I have with the way it's currently set up is that the scores only reflect how much effort one is willing to put into drumming up votes, deserved or not.

I have made what I think is a valid suggestion that, IMO, is the best of all worlds.

I believe that each verified e-mail address should be given three votes in each Decade Class. First place would get 3 points, second gets 2 and third gets 1. This closely replicates Concours awards.

This would force voters to actually think about which car they think is best. There will obviously always be some brand voting but this would minimize the impact of vote drumming.

Your thoughts?

I would suggest that each verified email address gets to choose one car per decade to vote for. They vote for their favorite car and no other. The voters give their one vote to the one car in each decade that they want to choose, and the car in each decade with the most votes wins that decade.

Keep it Simple....