1968 Lincoln Limo

1968 Lincoln Limo

Not a stretch. It's a splice of two cars. Note the VIN tags on both front doors.

752157_1_full.jpg

752157_2_full.jpg

9-1-2007 It begins.

I was on-line one day and my wife passed my computer and saw the first two pictures. She said, "Buy it". I don't question things like that, so I did. I asked her later, "Why?" She said that she figures that by the time I'm done restoring it I'll be old enough that I won't see so good at night and it only makes sense for us to be driven safely to our destination. Whatever, it works for me.

I had a huge decision to make. While the car drove great I was really concerned with the splice. The splice in the floorboards is almost imperceptible. I really had to look for it. I found no surprises. A little bit of surface rust on the floorboards but I haven't found any rust anywhere yet. There was no visible cracking or warping of the floorboards along any of the welds.

I have deemed it restorable. The first thing I did was remove the vinyl to to inspect the roof splice. I found a ton of surface rust under the area above the windshield as the vinyl had split years ago. There was a thick (1/4") layer of bondo across the whole splice.

752157_30_full.jpg

Removing the seats on either side of the partition revealed the window mechanism.

752157_31_full.jpg

A little lubrication and removal of two layers of carpet, it was moving freely.

752157_32_full.jpg

Peeling back the carpet revealed a little surface rust but no structural damage.

752157_33_full.jpg

752157_34_full.jpg

My next step may seem silly to some but I needed to get everything working before I tore everything apart. None of the windows worked when I started. All of the windows now work independently but I can only control the driver's side rear from the driver's door controls.

Getting it running was the next step. I put a new battery in and tried to start it. I notice that it bogged down and started smoking in the area of the solenoid. The connections were corroded and loose. Cleaned everything up, tried it again and it started right up and purred loudly. I noticed the battery cable leading to the starter was badly charred and had no insulation on it. It passed very near the exhaust pipe.

752157_35_full.jpg

I'll finish gutting the interior and move it into the shop for further evaluation. I'll leave all the interior parts in the storage building so I'm not tripping over them.

9-9-2007 Rust hunting

I pulled the smelly, nasty carpet out of the trunk revealing that while the trunk had been wet at some time, there was very little rust. Just some surface flaking.

752157_37_full.jpg

When I pulled back the last bit of carpet I found green paint. I also found it on the roof. The thing that's strange is that both VIN tags reveal that the cars were both maroon. I wonder if this is some type of primer.

752157_38_full.jpg

752157_39_full.jpg

In my search for rust I looked in a likely spot, the lowest part of the inside of the door. I found a bit of dirt and a tiny amount of surface rust. I'm amazed.

752157_40_full.jpg

I knew I would hit pay dirt here.

752157_41_full.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barry, please don't take this wrong....

But, If I had about 10% of your energy, money, skill, and etc..... I think I would be a happy man. whistle.gif </div></div>

I couldn't agree more! The Spartinette was joy to watch! This will be equally good....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MCHinson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barry, please don't take this wrong....

But, If I had about 10% of your energy, money, skill, and etc..... I think I would be a happy man. whistle.gif </div></div>

How on Earth could anyone take that the wrong way? You all are very kind. Your encouragement and input make these project much more fun for me.

• 2 months later...

This report has some minor duplication. I've gone back to posting a diary on my Cardomain

site.

To ease access The doors had to go. I gutted the doors while on the car and boxed all the components in marked boxes. Got smart this time.

752157_42_full.jpg

Moved the limo, under it's own power, into the shop. It looks so small after having the trailer in there for so long.

752157_46_full.jpg

Backed the trailer into the building next door in preparation of pushing the 36' trailer sideways into a 38' space. The only way to do that is to use heavy duty wheel skates.

752157_47_full.jpg

Neatly tucked away for the winter.

752157_48_full.jpg

One of the first things I did was remove the trunk lid. I got tired of bumping my head on the edge. The rear bumper came off with three wires and 8 bolts. It looks as thought its never had any rear damage.

752157_49_full.jpg

The vinyl top created lots of water traps and caused a bit of damage at the lead edge of the roof and at the bottom of the rear window. It's ugly, but it's repairable.

752157_50_full.jpg

The side trim was fasten through through these holes that were subjected to constant moisture. The metal in this area will be replaced. The car will not have a vinyl top so this trim will not be necessary.

752157_51_full.jpg

Using a cutting wheel on an electric die grinder I cut away the rotted metal and ground all spot weld remnants smooth.

752157_54_full.jpg

752157_55_full.jpg

I had my fab shop bend an exact 3-foot duplicate of the rotted edge. The metal thickness matches the original.

Using my avation metal working tools I fashioned a backer plate for the splice.

752157_68_full.jpg

752157_69_full.jpg

I used an old trick a shop teacher showed me years ago. When brazing sheet metal layers together the top hole should be about twice the size as the inner hole. In this case the hole in the backer is 1/8", the proper size for the Cleco temporary fasteners. The outer hole is 1/4". When brazing the tip of the flame goes through the small hole and heats up both layers of metal. A dab of brazing rod and the joint and holes are sealed. This even works on metal that you can't clean the back-side of. The braze fuses to the walls of the holes you drill in the sheet metal and provides a strong bond.

752157_70_full.jpg

That's all this one is for is fun.

I started stripping the paint off of the car to investigate other problem areas. This isn't as bad as it looks.

752157_67_full.jpg

The rear quarter sheet metal is near perfect.

752157_63_full.jpg

752157_64_full.jpg

This is the extent of the rear quarter rust.

752157_65_full.jpg

752157_66_full.jpg

This car has had three paint jobs. The paint seem to get progressively thicker as the coats were added. I started stripping on the rear quarter and found some pretty attractive sheet metal underneath. The rear quarter had no physical damage and only a little bit of rust in the common areas. Once the original details were revealed I got a real impression of what the finished product would look like. The quality of the stampings and the sheer number of spot welds is amazing.

Barry,

Thanks for sharing your restoration. I am impressed, as it is a huge job. Congratulations and the best of luck in your efforts. The '67-'68 Lincolns were favorites of mine. I always thought that the Lincolns were more comfortable in both ride (Ford suspensions!) and interior. The Cadillac limousines were so austere in gray, and of course I know now that the interiors of our cars were also OLD so they had hardened up a bit! Do you have a blue interior?

Keep the photos coming!!

11-17-2007 Started stripping the doors. I've decided to reassemble the car as I strip it. As I work my way around the car I'll reassemble the sheet metal assemblies so that it ends up like the completed body came down the paint line. A light medial blast and it'll be ready for etching primer. That will protect the rest of the car while I'm making rust repairs.

I used a paint stripper on the rear quarter and it worked well. There was very little body filler so it was smooth and clean.

The rear passenger door had a layer of maroon paint. I sprayed a paint remover over its surface.

752157_56_full.jpg

10 minutes later the surface bubbled up and was easily removed by a putty knife.

752157_57_full.jpg

The second layer was a thick red primer That was pretty tough. It took two applications.

752157_58_full.jpg

Another application of remover and the primer came off, revealing the white paint job. That paint was tough to cut, too.

752157_59_full.jpg

Underneath almost the whole door was a thick layer of body filler. Paint remover doesn't work but heat does. I used a commercial heat gun and softened the filler and scraped it off. Some of it was 1/4" thick.

752157_60_full.jpg

One last application of paint remover and the original green paint came right off.

752157_61_full.jpg

Whoever made these repairs never massaged the metal, just slathered filler over relatively minor damage. About an hour with my body hammer should return the shape close enough to original that it will need very little filler.

752157_62_full.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Roger Walling</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barry, You stated that the top would not be vinyl when you are finished. I once read that the reason that the builders use vinyl was, that eventually the tops buckle with age and the flexing of the body. Probably worth looking into? </div></div>

That might be true with a stretch, where there are two seams. This is a splice with only one seam. Also, this is an extremely rigid unit bodied car, not a BOF like most limos. BOF allows much more flex to the body.

Barry,

The Lincoln Limo is a very worthy project. This will make a nice addition to your other rare and beautiful cars (and Trailer). As usual you are approaching this project in a logical way. I am inspired by your work ethic and am going to try to approach my '40 Roadmaster project with increased enthusiasm!

Actually West, I kind of enjoy the slower pace of using a less potent stripper. It's like cutting the grass. It's totally mindless, yet totally satisfying.

11-21-2007 More stripping.

I spent about an hour with my body hammer and dolly and straighten out the dents in the rear door. Now they'll just require a thin layer of body filler over the damaged areas.

Unfortunately, the center door had a shabby home-made door skin that didn't allow for good body filler adhesion. It cracked and created this rust mess. I'm looking for two new doors or NOS door skins. I know, good luck.

752157_73_full.jpg

Stripping the trunk lid was no small task. This pile of paint scrapings was just the top layer of paint. It had so much paint on it that the body lines were blurred.

752157_71_full.jpg

I don't know if you can see the blur in this picture, but you sure can, in person. I'm still amazed at the quality of the original stampings. The pieces are almost sculptural.

The lower edge of the trunk lid is a very likely rust problem. There is no sign of rust on this trunk lid. Another super clean part.

752157_72_full.jpg

Thanks, that may be just what I'm looking for.

11-24-2007 No need for door skins. I figured out why both center doors have been re-skinned.

If you look at the passenger side middle door you can see that it's top is flat. This door had to be altered to be this way because as a front door on the rear part of the splice it no longer rose to meet the windshield.

752157_74_full.jpg

752157_75_full.jpg

752157_76_full.jpg

I have a friend that has offered to teach me lead work. This door might be the perfect teaching tool.

I found a sprayable paint stripper at Home Depot that works the best of any I've used.

752157_77_full.jpg

The whole rear end of the car is stripped of paint. Aside from the door ding on the passenger rear door I've found no sheet metal damage and about the same amount of rust on both sides.

752157_78_full.jpg

The vast majority of rust under the vinyl top was surface rust. I ground the rust spots to slightly below the original surface. The big holes will be brazed shut and all the rust spots will be covered in POR-15. The excess paint will be sanded away and the area covered with a thin layer of body filler.

752157_79_full.jpg

752157_80_full.jpg

11-25-2007 Might as well go all the way.

752157_81_full.jpg

752157_82_full.jpg

If anyone is going to rebuild one of these there is a simple production mistake that can be corrected. Wherever there was a seam sealant was used over bare metal it failed. Wherever it was applied over paint there was no failure. I believe that the edge of the sealant cracked the paint allowing, oxygen and moisture to cause rust under the caulk. I would advise priming at least before caulking.

752157_83_full.jpg

752157_84_full.jpg

Barry

That's interesting about the caulk. I don't think primer is a very good sealer, though. I would think about doing the caulking after using a primer sealer rather than just the primer, or maybe after the first coat of paint has been applied.

I'd also be interested in hearing from other restorers on what is the preferred method.

11-26-2007 Dogleg repair. I don't believe there was ever a slabside Lincoln that didn't need this repair. I got off very lucky.

I started cutting away metal where I knew I had a problem. I was not surprised to see what I found. This is simply an accumulation of rust flakes and dirt. The leaks from the trim holes above kept this area damp at all times as the rust flakes acted as a sponge.

752157_85_full.jpg

752157_86_full.jpg

Scraped away as much as I could and determined that the damaged area was larger, but not bad. The metal on both sides was still substantial.

752157_87_full.jpg

I fabricated a patch panel that fits in behind the metal edges. I believe I'm going to make all of my repairs and bring in a welder who did some great welding on the trailer. I'm pretty good with heavier gauge metal. Sheet metal is pretty touchy.

752157_88_full.jpg

This rust is an example of poor engineering. There were no drain holes and the seam sealer acted as a water trap. The rusted metal will be top-coated with POR-15 (Paint Over Rust). I don't like the idea of media blasting as much of it would be trapped in the unibody structure.

12-3-2007 Passenger front door. Just a light dent in the lower right and a couple of small dimples. Otherwise perfect.

752157_89_full.jpg

Bad planning. This is the front door post area. This valley has no drainage. It has collected moisture for a very long time resulting in a rust-through. For those of you with this vintage car it might be worth removing the lower decorative shield to see what's going on. Not sure what to do about this.

752157_90_full.jpg

752157_91_full.jpg

Concerned that there was damage to the front fender in this area I stripped off the paint. I was very pleased to find a nearly flawless front fender. They shoud have made this car in stainless.

752157_92_full.jpg

12-7-2007 There was 8 pounds of paint on the hood. I used 2 gallons of stripper and wore out a stainless brush. Took me 4 afternoons to complete. No rust.

There was something different about the paint on the hood of this car. It was like iron. For some reason the hood had a dark gray primer while the rest of the car has red oxide. While the paint on the rest of the car literally falls off when the stripper is applied the paint on the hood appeared to be baked on. It probably was.

752157_94_full.jpg

12-9-2007 Driver's side front fender.

Found the entire fender covered in body filler. Rather than bring the metal back to it's original position they laid up a 1/4" layer of bondo. I certainly expected to find some major damaged underneath.

752157_95_full.jpg

Not so. Looks like there was a minor fender bender that was poorly bumped out. A couple of hours with dolly and hammer and this fender will be ready for a thin skim coat of filler. No rust.

752157_96_full.jpg