Looked at 74 LeSabre CVT today...

old-tank

I looked at at 74 LeSabre CVT offered for sale locally. I don't want the car at this time, but just checking to see if anyone has a "gotta have" wish for the car.

Exterior: good 20-30 footer straight, road wheels, few dents and paint (white) defects along with bubbles at edges (rear wheel openings, trunk edge, belt below top; all emblems missing except for 455 on grill. Bottom shows rust perforation on trunk floor only.

Interior: seats tattered esp drivers, door panels plastic crumbling, dash pad intact and even the steering wheel inlay is intact. Aftermarket radio and speakers and guages. Cruise and tilt and AC (shows 134A conversion)...did not turn on...cruise and speedometer not functional. Did not raise top...

Engine: non stock air cleaner assy. Engine bearing knock when started hot after sitting 10 minutes. Oil pressure ~5psi idling and 45psi at highways speeds.

Trunk: Rust!! everywhere on floor and crumbling edge where weather strip is attached.

There will of course be other yet undiscovered items...all can be fixed ($$$)...folks from the rust belt would consider this as almost pristine.

When I first heard of the car and the $3000 price, I was interested, but after restoring one rusty CVT I declined.

Oh, and the car rides and drives like a dream.

It is probably worth #3k...what else can you get for that price and use as a beater...and it is a Buick...and a convertible...I hope it is sold before I look at it again.

Willie

I don't know I live in the rust belt and there sounds like a lot of unhappiness with this car, to put it lightly. Can deal with mechanical problems down to a blown engine but the body work on this one sounds a bit much to handle. Tried to save a 74 CVT but had to bail because of all the work needed. Blown trans was final straw. If the frame is good someone should be able to take this one on.