Hood Spring Removal and Installation

WillBilly53

Kevin,

I E-mailed you the same three pages.

Before I saw this how-to article, I already had the hood springs off my 1953 Skylark. What I did was, with the hood

raised in the full upright position, I propted it up as high as it would go with my old lady's broom handle...then I jammed 16-penny (16d) nails between each coil in the spring...then unbolted the whole shebang while the spring was in it's fully stretched position. Took about a couple of dozen nails.

Don't pinch your fingers!

Al Mack

Guest 70 Electra

Hmmmm...A powerful spring held in its stretched position by dozens of NAILS? I'd hate to imagine the "down" side of that experiment!! LOL

I use a method similar to the nails...use large flat washers between the coils while in a stretched state, and when relaxed the spring can be removed.

To install clamp the hook end of the spring in a vise and rock the spring from side to side and install the washer...remove after installed in the stretched state.

Willie

Guest kevinshea

how much are you expanding the gap between spring rows? (1/8"?) and how may rows of spacers do you insert?

I think I like the idea of using a 2-3" nail to span the opening rather than a washer... seems to make it more symmetric and possibly more stable(??)