Any radio rebuilding recommendations?

Guest edalfa

I've got the radio out of my 40 Special. It is not working and it needs to be rebuilt. I'm leaning towards a rebuild with updated inards to get fm too. Anyone have any recommendations?

Ed

Guest imported_Thriller

I haven't yet had a radio rebuilt myself. My opinion is to keep it stock - when I go for longer drives, I bring a portable stereo along, which allows me to play a CD as well as AM/FM.

Well, I would think of a stock rebuild if the was any music on am radio. Since that isn't the case, I'll be happier with am/fm. I'm kinda hoping to get a handle on who might be a good rebuilder.

Ed

Guest Tonys Buick

I was able to get the radio working in my '49 56S by replacing all of tubes. I have since had a problem with the antenna wire going up to the roof mounted antenna, and have since found an NOS replacement(another project for another day). They definetely don't work like a newer transistor type radio, but the hum while warming up has it's charm.

Tony

1949 Model 56S Sedanette

1964 Skylark Hardtop Coupe

1965 Skylark 4-Dr. Sedan

• 4 weeks later...
Guest edalfa

I'm still looking for a rebuilder recommendation to convert to more modern componentry. I know that I can bring a portable radio with me but I want to get mine rebuilt with fm. Anyone?

Ed

There is a dirty great hole where once my car had a radio.

Where can I get one for a 1938 Limited?

I believe its the same radio accross the line as the face looks the same..

Any ideas on whats the best way to get hold of one?

Regards

Ed, I had the radio in my '68 Volvo (Bendex,made in USA) rebuilt with new solid state inerds by Mike Hagans. It was a mono AM FM and was converted to AM FM stereo 2 or 4 speakers. It looks the same, all the changes are inside and it works great. He says he can update any radio. I don't know the web site but his ph# is 215-547-7145.

Dave

I picked up a 38 radio and replaced the radion delete plugs that were in my car. So I have a set of radio deletes that I can part with.

Asa for updating a tube radio, I wouldn't. Just my opinion. The sound out of an old tube radio is priceless. Even makes contemporary AM sound like something broadcast in the 30 and 40's.

I had my 38 radio rebuilt by a car guy in Saskatoon. Maybe Thriller knows him. He was a Metropolitan guy. Exclusively. If there is interest in a Canadian guy, I can look up my receipt. Thgere is also a guy in Winnipeg that can repair radios, has a tube tester and all.

• 3 years later...
Guest Grant Magrath

Right, this is what we did. Bought a radio/mp3 and speakers, plus a 6 to 12 volt inverter. We hid the speakers under the dash, and hid the radio behind the speaker grille. The unit came with a remote control, so no need to have the radio visible. another unique feature is that no holes were drilled in the firewall! Onlt existing holes were used. The car has insulatd running boards, but we just mounted a conventional aerial horizontaly under one of the running boards. The inverter should be hidden better, but we weren't too sure how hot it would get. The fake radio face is a Motorola that we modified slightly, despite being a replacement 39 Buick radio.

164887_1810101050548_1180632791_32178058_6737181_n.jpg

You can see the remote sitting under the radio, and held on with an adhesive magnetic strip.

164887_1810101090549_1180632791_32178059_6978299_n.jpg

Here's the not so well hidden inverter.

164887_1810100970546_1180632791_32178056_711288_n.jpg

One of the speakers. We had some in that were too small and sounded crap. some bigger ones addressed that!

164887_1810101010547_1180632791_32178057_4960636_n.jpg

And here's how it looks behind the grille.

Sorry, no aerial pic, the camera battery died!

Cheers

Grant

Edited by Grant Magrath
Spelling (see edit history)

Guest Grant Magrath

Still is.

As I said, no holes drilled. Just used existing ones. That's why the inverter can be seen where it is. The radio was a non runner we got on eBay a few years ago. The car has had a Sonomatic in it, but was long gone when we bought the car as a wreck a few years ago.

Cheers

Grant

My little radio ditty....

I had my '39 radio rebuilt some years ago. The Holden body had an Astor Air-Chief 2 piece set up. The radio box bolting to the firewall and the head piece and cables. I picked it up and in my enthusiasm I connected power to it by a battery charger on my kitchen table. First the vibrating hum then the static. I dialled the station tuner and the first channel I came to was replaying our Prime ministers speech that he gave in '39 when he announced that Australia had declared war on Germany. For a little while there I could have been back in '39.

Danny