From the Admin - Reatta Forum Regulars Please Read

I got this email and thought I should share it with you. Not sure it's a problem, but obviously this person does. Here goes:<P>"Peter,<BR>I realize that I am not a true expert on the Reatta, but as of late I am almost leery to post subjects, questions, etc. There are a few regulars that can be intimidating and that go out of there way to make a person feel inadequate. It is almost like jealousy or an exclusive club type thing.<BR>Sorry to come across like sour grapes.<BR>Sincerely,"<P>Thought you'd like to know.<P>Peter

Guest Brolliar

Peter,<P>I don't post here too often but I monitor the Reatta Forum quite a bit. I think the knowledgeable opinions expressed here are this sites best asset, and this site is by far the best I have found on the web for specific auto information. I wish there was a site only half as good for Lincolns. <P>Bottom line, in my opinion. if there is a problem it is very small one . Naturally we should all be careful to not putdown someone wanting knowledge. It is my belief that there is no dumb question - how else will we learn.

Guest EDBS0

Dick Brolliar;<BR>You are so very wrong!! The only dumb question is the one that is not asked. (Dick, please don't take offense, you should know by now this is my humor). smile.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 <P><BR>Peter;<BR>As a regular poster who usually reads all posts I also am not sure there is a problem, however, I don't like being painted with a broad brush. Just don't like it. Not one bit!<P>This forum is outstanding in that it is pretty much self regulating and we keep each other in line and know after a short time the reputations.<P>When I reply to an inquiry I try and do it to the best of my abilities.<P>When a brain dead enquiry such as "What is my 88 worth", an appropriate answer is $35 to $35,000 depending on condition and location DUH, and there are lots of these.<P>Where I have posted a very detailed reply i.e.. cleaning EGR valve and 4 days later someone wants to know how to clean an EGR valve. I think a very appropriate answer is to include the link and encourage the use of the search engine. Feel intimidated into using the search engine well sour grapes to you. Feel inadequate after reading an extremely complex solution to your question you are not alone, get used to it if you own a Reatta, I have gotten used to these complex answers and also frequently feel inadequate. <P>Do I take this Forum too seriously ... look at my handle. If it ever stops being fun, entertaining and informative I am out of here. <P>Do I like being painted by the broad brush, no. <P>Personally I would encourage the offended party to contact the other party directly or state after the responses that he/she is dissatisfied with the response!<P>Just my 2cts,<A HREF="http://mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/brghtsd.mp3" TARGET=_blank>Robert</A> <A HREF="http://www.collineduparlement.gc.ca/text/newhillcam.jpg" TARGET=_blank> Ottawa, Ontario</A>

Guest EDBS0

Chuck no, no, no, enjoy your posts. I am also a good Canadian boy born in Rivers, Manitoba my kindred spirit.<P>Only directed at anonymous and thin skins.<BR> PS Check out the hot link Ottawa below.<p>[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: Easily Distracted by Shiny Objects ]

I'm just havin some fun is all, love your posts EDSO! grin.gif" border="0<P>P.S. Love the MP3, the kids are dancing!!!<p>[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]

To <B>4 Jaw Chuck</B>: A Three Jaw Chuck is self centering or centered.<P>A Four Jaw Chuck can be set off center.<P>Does this mean 4 Jaw Chuck is eccentric?<P>I think all Reatta owners are just a little off. If they weren't, they would all be driving Toyota's.<P>Good for eccentricity!

Eccentric is the nicest thing anybody has called me all week Russ, Thank you. smile.gif" border="0 <P>OOWWW now Burkie boy is poking me! PETERRRRR! grin.gif" border="0

ARE YOU TALKIN' TO ME...DON'T START ME! I'll poke more than that. I'll poke your eye <B>clean out</B>. No, serioulsy guys, "yous" are fantastic. If it wasn't for guys like you, this forum would be about as much fun as Hupmobile forum... or Sister Sallys Nuns-are-us" site. My latin is a little rusty but here goes... <B>Il legitimi non carobundum... OR Don't let the bastards wear you down</B>. Keep up the good work.<p>[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: burkieboy ]

Sister Sally's Nun-Are-Us, ooohhh they are HOT! Did you see the one with the ankles showing! What a naughty girl that one is. grin.gif" border="0

Guys,<BR>Personally I don't mind the <I>occational</I> jesting and sarcasm, but a newbie may perceive themselves as the butt of your joking instead of part of it. <P>Your followups to my original post are a <B>perfect example</B> of the problem he is pointing out. <P>Please give this visitor's concern the respect it deserves.<P>Peter<p>[ 03-08-2002: Message edited by: peterg ]

I'm an old timer here. I think I've been visiting this forum almost daily since November of 98 (you can see what my life is like). I think everyone here tries very hard to help fellow Reatta owners. There have been a few times when a question, which I guess was important to the person inquiring,(I think everyone thinks their question deserves a good answer) got flubbed off with a foolish reply. One instance comes to mind. During the end of 1999, many were concerned if the Reatta was Y2K complaint. One person answered by saying no and going into great detail how all the systems of the car would shut down at the stroke of midnight. However this guy went on to state that all Select 60 units had a special "fix" before they left the factory so those owners would have nothing to worry about. This of course was pure hogwash, but to a newcomer, they may have bought the whole story, hook, line, and sinker. Such instances have been few and far between. As a whole. I think all the folks here do a good job helping one another and some are pretty entertaining as well. Howard

I am a "newcomer" and the first to admit that I am flat-out ignorant when it comes to cars in general. It doesn't rock my world to admit this....I'm very good at what I do and really don't care who thinks what....as long as in the end, my purpose is accomplished. And that is taking the best care possible of my Reatta. I think it only prudent to take advantage of the knowlege base of those whose expertise and experience lie in this area. I personally have found the forum to be very helpful and have successfully accomplished a few small, but satisfactory "repair" victories. "And that's all I have to say about that." (Forest Gump)

Guest davidmullins

some people can not handle humer or kiding.keep up the great information.this has to thecoolest place on the internet.rah rah rah smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

I've been "hanging around" here for well over a year now. I have never seen a "newbie" rebuffed when asking any type of Reatta question... <B> even silly ones</B>... and anyway.. isn't every thing realitive? Any question will be answered and usually in a very professional, effective and straight forward manner. As a matter of <B>fact</B> most for the information available here is SO technical <B>and acurate</B> you can not find it anywhere else <B>on the planet</B>. The intimidating part is the askers perception that asking a question <B> so absurd </B> that it will not warrant an answer. e.g. My wife drove our Reatta through the car wash with the windows open now my CD doesn't work. Has this ever happened to you??? confused.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0cool.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0

Speaking for myself, I have asked questions more often than I have liked (guess I have too many gremlins or too many Reatta's) and always wondered if I was annoying the senior members of the site. Not one time ever has any member been rude or condesending to me in thier reply or a suggestion. This site and the people who contribute to it are a Godsend to fellow Reatta owners and I hope that the remarks of a thin skinned individual will not offend the membership and diminish the enjoyment we get from conversing with each other. I have nothing but thanks and praise for the people who share their thoughts and advise on this site smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 Happy Motoring!

Guest EDBS0

Brengirl;<P>You show such great judgement in people....................too bad.........................like the rest of us.........................you don't have the same great judgement in.....................cars. wink.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0 <P>Hope you get your problem fixed soon, Robert<P>PS...one and all...don't even think of replying grin.gif" border="0

I think that the original post has some validity. There are a few people here that I won't name (guess who they are) who can be difficult. However, you can find that anywhere, in any gathering of people there are always a few bad apples. As opposed to a real "club" somewhere, in an online forum, you don't have the luxury of facial expressions, vocal intonations, warm handshakes, etc.; none of that stuff comes through in writing, so something said in jest may be taken the wrong way. <P>Generally, people here are pretty helpful, even the resident windbags (you know who I mean) who tell you more than you need to know or go completely off topic about how cars used to be thirty years ago. If you want to see bandwidth hogs, take a look at the resident windbags at allante.org or corvetteforum.com. Some of those guys spend all day long in the forums, posting one message after another.<P>So, to sum up while not being a windbag about it, I think most questions are answered sooner or later and people shouldn't feel intimidated to post their questions here.