63 Coil Springs, Who to use?

tim63riv

Hi everyone!

I'm starting to put together a list of things I need for my Black 63 to make the trek to Galena next summer. The springs seem to be gravitating toward that "low rider" stance. (not that there's anything wrong with that, just not my cup of tea!) I have seen other 63's at what the owner claims is factory height, but that looks a little too high for my tastes. I have also heard about the 65 GS springs, but I have heard that the rear lower control arms are different from 63 to 65. Are there any vendors that you would recommend, as well as any to stay away from? I'll probaly do a suspension rebuild along with the springs and of course, shock absorbers.

Thanks,

Tim McCluskey

Guest Chucks70

Tim,

For springs, take a look at Coil Spring Specialties( www.coilsprings.com ). They custom make the springs for the application. A bit pricy, I think it was close to $400 for a set of springs, but worth it. They will ask you whether you would prefer stock or GS height type springs. I didn't have any problems with mine and the car sat as it was supposed to (that is, not with the nose in the air).

Hope this helps,

Tim,

I looked in the directory for old tech articles from the Riview and Leonard Scott answered a question about the replacement of springs in Vol. 9, #1. In that Q&A, he states that if you ordered the H2 option on your 65 GS, you'd get stiffer springs that would make the car sit about 1.5" lower than the regular production springs for the 63 - 65 regular production Rivieras. From what he wrote there, it sounds to me that unless you have a 65 GS with the H2 option, all Riviera springs for 63 - 65 are the same.

Jim,

Thanks for your input! That is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I wonder what I would get if I ordered out 63 springs but at 65 Gran Sport height?

Ed,

Thanks for your response! After my fiasco with the visors, I get a little wary when something is said to fit 63 to 65! I thought there was an issue with the diameter of the bottom coil being different from 63 to 65.

More stuff for me to think about!

Tim

Guest musclecarfan65

hi tim.

viasco with the visors??? did you try to interchange the complete mechanism of the '65er into the '63er?

just wondering who gave you the info that this would work ... :-) i have thrown out the complete system and will work on perating the visors in a different way than buick designed them.

regards,

dirk