Ignition Problem/318 ci engine in "38 Dodge/electronic ign.

After converting my '38 D8 Dodge to a 318 ci with a 727 trans., I had to replace the ignition switch also. I first tried a 65 switch from a 12 volt later model Dodge. Had a starting problem with the Mopar electronic ignition, I has the Mopar ignition unit with two wires to the distrbuto and a standard Mopar starter relay.and voltage dropping resistor , all as Mopars kit directs, all connected per instructions. The problem is that when it has been run and is 'warm' it does not want to start as long as the engine is being cranked. But as soon as the key is released from the 'crank/start detent to the run detent, it will catcha and start running. When it's cold, it will start with the key in the start detent. What do I look for to find the answer to this problem? Walt

This is a typical Mopar problem caused by a burnt out ignition resistor.

Everyone used to carry a spare resistor in the glove box for this reason LOL.

Your engine gets spark while cranking but as soon as you let go the key, nothing.

It is odd yours went like that. Usually they only go after the car has 100,000 miles on it.

Try a new resistor, chances are you will be good as new for under $5 bucks and 5 minutes work.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks guys, I had not had this experience before and as ignorant as I am I did not recognize the resistor as culprit. Do you have any suggestion as to the Ohms required for the replacement resistor? Lurking in the back of my feeble mind, I keep visualizing the wiring schematic for the Mopar electronic ignition and I keepthinking there should be a bypass wire feeding 12 volts to the unit when it cranks and drops to 6 when the key returns from 'start' to 'run'.Naturally, I can't find the XXXX&^%$#@schematic.I'll plug in a newballast resistor and see what happens. Thanks walt.