What is Grandpa Driving?

Guest Bredlo

Guest Bredlo

Hey everybody,

Found these photos of my dad's dad posing in this (what I'm guessing) 1920's car.

Noting the fact that it's a 2-seater, has a split windshield, a good view of the dash, and the sloping rear deck (with some kind of center mounted spare wheel or license plate) I was hoping someone could help me identify what kind of car and which model and year this is.

Might be fun to buy one someday for the opportunity to drive what my grandfather did.

I believe the location, by the way, is somewhere around Grant Park from what I can tell in these and another photo which more clearly shows the buildings along Michigan Ave.

http://www.bradcornelius.com/images/carsm1.jpg

http://www.bradcornelius.com/images/carsm2.jpg

Thanks all, I appreciate it.

Regards,

Brad

Guest Bredlo

Hi Steve,

Great lead! The Superior or National roadsters look pretty close, I agree.

I'll do more research - maybe the layout of the dash is what'll help narrow down the year at bit more. I haven't been able to find many rear 3/4 shots showing that raised panel behind the ragtop, either.

Here's a 25 & 26 Chevy dash. Pretty much the same as a 27. The 28 would be a little different. The ignition switch on the right was placed there many years after manufacturing. The original ignition switch would have been located in the headlight switch.

DSC01067.jpg

Here's the steering wheel minus the horn button.

6af431a9.jpg

I believe the car your grandfather is in would be an early 20's Chevy. However, it may be a related model such as Olds or Pontiac. I'm not expert enough to say.