37 Zephyr Generator

Guest peter_smith

Guest peter_smith

Hello All

I had the Zephyr out for a 60 mile run to a local show, the generator packed up and I was stuck at the side of the road, and it was raining rivers, I thought it was petrol at first when the engine faded out, but that checked out OK.

I stripped the horn wire from under the hood and wired both coils direct to the battery, which at this point was about 4 1/2 volts, thought this would be OK to bypass the resistors, pushed the car to start it, and it fired up and got me home no problem.

On stripping the generator and cut out, they were both burnt out.

After considering everything I decided to fit (sin of sins, and I make a full confession) a 6v + earth single wire GM alternator, Yes I am a moron.

I had to make up a Y shaped bracket for this, out of 3/4 thick alloy, and also the pulley that was supplied was for a 3/4 belt, so I had to make a 5/8 one up to suit.

When fitting this bracket I wondered why Henry Ford had not made up some sort of adjuster for the bracket, to make adjustment easier, ( how do those of you who have show condition inlet manifolds and generators tighten your fan belts, you cant put a big lever in there you would chip the paint), Did Henry supply a nice piece of hardwood with every new Lincoln, for adjustment purposes.

Anyway, here is a nice little adjuster that will work on a generator as well, and you have to look very hard to see it, as it is behind the washer and in between the legs of the fork.

Remove the large clamping washer, file the bottom of the forked legs to give a reasonably flat area, (I fitted a heavier washer) weld enough 5/16 studding to one side of the washer to allow 1/2" to hang below the bottom and on the inside of the forks, drill a 5/16 hole in a small piece of 1/8" plate, file up to the same size as the bottom of the legs, fit a nut, and that's it, but be careful, it is very easy to overtighten the belt with this, but it makes the job very easy.

I must say that the car is running much better with the alternator on, it pulls better and the engine is smoother, so whether the Generator has been on it's way out for a while, maybe it has.

Appologies to the purists.

Peter Smith

No need to apologize to anyone -- you've got a 70-year-old car that runs! For folks who want to retain the look of the original generator and cut-out, there's a vendor in TWOTZ who makes a modern regulator conversion that fits inside the metal band that wraps around the generator.

By the way, Peter, we'd love to see pics of your car as well. Nothing like seeing one of these cars on the road.

Isn't it just plain amazing that the archaic old generator and cutout worked for 70 years without having to be replaced by a general motors masterpiece?? I wonder what a set of generator brushes, and a quick filing of the cut out points would have done?? But we do have to upgrade, right Abe?? So we will never know. You know my good friend has a '94 Dodge Colt, awful little car, a generic rice burner, it has 45K miles on it already in only 13 years, but is considered an antique on the streets of Santa Cruz, and so far it has not had to have one GM part added to it, I guess it is still too new

YOU SOUND LIKE A VERY CLEVER AND INDUSTRIUS FELLOW, WHILE THE "TEMPORARY" SET UP IS WORKING...SPEND ABOUT HALF AS MUCH AND FIX THE 6 VOLT + GENERATOR...

THE POINT ISNT PURISTS VS HACKERS,BUT WHY DO U HAVE AN OBSOLETE AUTO IN THE FIRST PLACE...FOR THE LOOKS, IF SO YEA MODERN DRIVETRAIN MAKES SENSE , I GUESS...BETTER TO BUY A RETRO CAR....

I FIND IT CHALLENGING TO

REPAIR THE 70 YEAR OLD TECHNOLOGY TO FUNCTION AS IT WAS DESIGNED.....GENERATOR WORKED SO WELL...70 TEARS WORTH, THAT IT WAS IGNORED AT FIX UP TIME...NOW INSTEAD OF FIX...

JURY RIG IS JUST THAT.

DO IT RIGHT...IT IS 1890'S TECH..U CAN DO IT!!

JB

6 VOLT AND 12 CYL'S

IN oHIo

Well, in my case, I'm going with the electronic regulator conversion because I've got big fat fingers and have trouble reaching in there to adjust the 3rd brush wink.gif.

Now whether I should go on a diet, that's a different issue...

Guest peter_smith

Well that stirred a hornets nest.

First of all the car is in the UK, it was not fitted with the correct generator and cut out,(so it did not last 70 years), it had a Lucas unit on it which I think was from a Ford Pilot, which had the V8 engine, but the belt alignment was a mile out.

I wanted the car mobile, to get what's left of the summer out of it.

What would it have cost me to purchase and ship a new or reconditioned generator and cut out from the US.?????

The alternator was $96, and nothing on the car or wiring has been altered that can't be returned to normal in a few minutes.

I may, if a generator and cut out come up at a later date, replace the alternator.

I bought this car, because I love the shape, and the V12 motor, My brother stock car raced a 39 one in the 60s, and I never forgave him, I have wanted one since I was 11, I am now 58 and creaking a bit.

I have had pics on here before, and its not a pretty sight, I think someone remarked it looked like a Pierce Arrow, with its Lucas headlights, these will be swapped out for the original items this winter, together with a pair of Rolfs tail light lenses. So I'm not a total Moron.

Am I forgiven

Peter Smith

You bought your car for the shape and V12 motor??? Really??? All the rest of us bought ours for their *generators*. Maybe that's what has some people upset wink.gif

Seriously, I'm always impressed when anyone has the ingenuity to keep an old car running in any shape.

Guest imported_MikeWilliamsUK

Hi Peter,

I've only just picked up that you are in the UK, but now found you in the LZOC list.

With perhaps half a dozen of us with Zephyrs in the UK we can sometimes feel a bit isolated, even with our local Zephyr expert just down the road in Romford! I'm no expert, but drop me a PM if you'd like to chat.

Mike

If you want to be stealthy, there are a couple vendors who will put a modern alternator inside a generator case. Generators are OK, as long as you don't use the lights much while idling or going slow. You can buy a ford yoke for GM alternator on e-bay for reasonable price that works well on Lincoln. Some aftermarket folks want too much.

For Rolf, I indeed have an alternator with chrome plating, but the generator has been lovingly packed in case someone after me wants to take the car to Pebble Beach. Mean time, the car is set up to drive. My hat is off to someone who can make his own adapter and make it function.

Abe

Well that is indeed good to know Abe, I am sure I wouldn't have been able to drive my L's in the past, all those 100K's of miles as well as if I had had a chrome plated alternator, give me a break!! A good 6 volt battery will run the lights at idle or completely free for 30 minutes plus, and that archaic old generator will charge it back up to full strength in about 10 minutes, I can't believe you guys!!! And street Rodders have been putting the most modern equipment available in their cars for years, does that in anyway really improve them?? I answer, only if you want your early car to perform like a modern car, and that begs the question, WHY??? One could buy a new car cheaper than installing all it's components in an old relic, let it wear out, become a used car, and trade it in for a new improved model, I am sorry, I just don't understand--

Guest peter_smith

Hello all

Just thought I would add a pic of the bracket and adjuster, it may be of interest to someone, you can just see the adjusting stud behind the large washer, must get a new fanbelt ordered.

Hope the pic comes out, it's the first time I have tried to post a pic since forum overhaul.

Regards

Peter Smith

post-44019-143137947011_thumb.jpg

Guest petebirtles

Hi Peter, seems we have a few things in common, we're both in the UK (up'north), both called Peter & both have Lincoln Zephyr V12's. I don't venture on here too often so it's the first time I've come across you, I remember your car being on ebay, (wasn't it in Lancashire somewhere) but haven't seen it since.

It's good to hear from a fellow UK zephyrist who uses their V12, good on you, wether it's stock or not, it's better running down the road than being stuck in some garage!

Have you bumped into Ted O'Brien, he's in thirsk & has a 41 Lz which is also on the road, we should all get together for a northern V12 meet at a suitable show near to us all such as Ripon. let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Pete Birtles.

Guest peter_smith

Hello Pete

I was just talking to Mike williams about trying to get the V12s to a meet somewhere next year, I thought maybe somewhere in the midlands, to try and attract some of the southerners, I have sent you a test email, see if it appears.

Regards

Peter Smith

Guest petebirtles

Hi Peter,

The email worked fine, A V12 meet would be great. I'm sure it wouldn't take much to talk Colin & Adrian Spong into bringing along a couple of their cars to the midlands, & with a little persuasion I'm sure Julian Balme would bring along his continental & thus give us a mention in classic & sportscar. We'll have to work on it.

I've met Mike Williams before, several years ago at Knebworth's 'rally of the giants' & comunicated with him on here.

Cheers, speak to you soon

Pete......