Nickel Plating...Who do you recommend?

davenc

I need to get the radiator shell replated with nickel, (that's nickel, not chrome!), on my '28 Buick.<P>We have heard a million horror stories about plating experiences. Does anyone have a plater they have used and would recommend, considering quality, time, and price?

Dave,<P> Nickel plating is part of the chrome plating process. Talk to any plater you trust and they should be able to do the job for you. Nickel is the step before chrome. The biggest concern is prep work of the piece you're plating.<BR> If you're still stumped, let the forum group here know. I'm sure someone can suggest a company near you.

What Al has said about the prep is most important. If you have the capability to straighten and/or repair the shell [if necessary] and then can polish it yourself to a mirror like luster before taking it to a reputable plater you will save big bucks and have a good idea what you will get back.<BR>You will get a nickel shell that looks just like the polished brass or steel one you took in, only plated.<P>Like painting, the secret is in the prep. Neither paint nor nickel nor chrome will cover any flaws in the base metal.<P>Ajax Plating in Denver is very good and very expensive. They only offer one level of plating. TOP GRADE. They turn people away who ask for a lesser level of quality.<P>But as usual, those are just my opinions.<P>hvs

Dave: Give me your e-mail address. I can help you big-time. I have been in the foundry/machine shop industry for 29 years. If I cannot answer your questions, guaranteed, my 3 Metallurgists can.<P>Regards, Peter J. pheizmann@aol.com

Thanks to all for the info.<P>Heizmann - I'll e-mail you directly.<P>Ronbarn - maybe I've been mislead on the nickel versus chrome issue of '28 Buicks. I've been told by BCA'ers and seen in some written sources that '28 was the first year for chrome on Buick, but this chrome was used only on the larger Master series; the smaller Standard series was still nickel that year. Then all models went to chrome in '29. Do you have additional info? confused.gif" border="0

It was my understanding that the transition from nickel to chrome plating took place when the technology changed.<P>I thought that the early nickel plating used a different process that resulted in a very durable surface. Later a cheaper nickel plating process was developed that had the bad trait of tarnishing easily. The solution to that was to put a thin flash coat of chrome on the part. Thus the plating was now chrome. Can anyone confirm or deny this?<P>The reason I bring this up, is that if it is true, then you might need to find a plater that can do a little different type of nickel plate rather than one who is set up to always chrome over the nickel layer.

davenc, the "general rule of thumb" used by AACA is chrome was used by Olds in '25 and everybody else starting in '28. But as will all "general rules" there are problems. The transition was not nearly as neat. You are probably right with the actual transition so I withdraw my comment and have learned something . I have a similar problem - there is hard evidence but little supporting documentation that the headlights on the '27 Marmon were chrome, but all the rest of the brightwork (including the cowl lights which were supplied by the same company that provided the head lights) were nickle. frown.gif" border="0