Odd Miss

padgett

Am going through personal problems (not health) of the worst kind that has me unable to access the test equipment at home and leaves me with the Reatta as my only transportation.

Bottom line it has developed an occasional miss/buck.

Occurs when fully warmed up and on mild accelleration (TPS in the 1.0-2.0 range) such as when crossing an overpass in cruise however can happen at any speed and in any gear. Hard accelleration smooths it out as does normal cruise (TPS .06-.08).

It has the upgraded Delco ignition but am going to swap back to the Magnavox to see if any change however it can go for days without surfacing.

Has anyone seen this ?

The TPS signal appears stable

I had a similar problem with my first Reatta, long time ago. I tried several things and even took it to my Buick dealer and I and the mechanic worked on it together and couldn't come up with the solution. I had looked at the plugs at home and we both looked at the plugs again and they looked good. It turned out to be the plugs. I then took those plugs and put them into a Corsica that I was rebuilding at the time that had a couple of broken plugs from the accident and the Corsica ran fine with my old Reatta plugs. When the Reatta went into closed loop and leaned out the engine the plugs couldn't handle it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vincent Vega</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Plugs and/or plug wires would be the first thing I would replace. Classic symptoms of bad plug wires. </div></div>

I agree 100%. I has happened to me as well.

Guest Bob from Ga.

I had similar symptoms but was showing intermitten MAF sensor code along with mis-fire at hiway speeds. Replaced sensor, ran for about a week and began intermitten mis-fire and SES, again. Now I get E041--cam magnet, intermitten. I don't mean to tell the master but, I think mine is the cam magnet which I repaired about 2 years ago the "Padgett" way!

Negected to say that no codes are being set which is another characteristic of secondary ignition. Plug wires are 8 mm and plugs are AC Rapidfire #14s about 2 years old.

Nice thing about the cam magnet is that with a mirror, the sensor removed, and at TDC you can see if the magnet is there.

I was ignoring what appears to be a similar problem until you mentioned it Padgett. My wires and plugs are new, but the issue came after I had the trans fluid changed. Reading the owners' manual, it says that with overdrive there may be some hint of what sounds like a miss. I can't remember the exact wording, but I stopped worrying about it. Mine occurs @ 40 MPH and not under load or at other speeds. The dealer I work with is pretty good, and didn't find an issue. Maybe I should worry again.

Is a pretty serious miss, almost seeems like the engine shuts off for an instant, then catches, then cuts off again but just for a moment and always at the same low throttle opening/high load like when going over an overpass.

New data point - put in a new set of Rapidfire #14s and for first 50 miles was smooth, other than just a minor hint of misfire after 35 miles.

Then a monsoon came (over 7 mph and water was over my hood in bad spots). Reached toll road & it really carried on cranky on almost any accelleration then smoothed out when it dried a bit. Plug wires are next.

No but generally smooths out at full throttle, miss occurs at part throttle and that stresses the secondary ignition. Changed the plug wires this morning. Hate just throwing parts at it but really have little choice.

Padgett, Although your original post pointed toward an ignition problem, your comment "almost seems like the engine shuts off for an instant, then catches, then cuts off again but just for a moment", makes me think it may be caused by a lean fuel mixture. Kinda like a car with a carburetor that has a bad spray pump, "bogging down" on acceleration.

To isolate problem as being the fuel system or the ignition system I would try to get the computer to come out of closed loop mode and go back into open loop mode. That would simulate the engine being cold again as far as the fuel system is concerned. You said the problem did not occur until the engine is warm.

If the problem goes away in open loop mode, more than likely it is the fuel system. I would change the oxygen sensor first. It has the most (almost 100%) control over instantaneous lean conditions. If the problem is still there in open loop mode I would be checking the ignition system closely.

I believe disconnecting the oxygen sensor will put the computer back in open loop. Maybe even disconnecting the TPS or temp sensor. Someone else may know a better way.

Hope this helps.

Problem is that miss is rare. Changed plug wires this morning (Bosch premium 8mm) and drove about 20 miles with nary a sign of miss.

Of course yesterday drove for 35 miles before it showed up briefly (then came back with a vengance in monsoon which makes wires even more suspect). Have gone for several days without it happening. Not predicable other than only at part throttle. TPS (ED01) indicating between 1.00 and 2.00

Guest imported_blazer1997

Remember the months, and money i spent on replacing everything and had the same results.

Used seafoam helped alot pulling it thru the throttle body but then i remembered this old mechanic at gm that used a bottle of water sucking it thru the carb.

In my case sucked it thru the throttle body about 4 oz, and engine is still smooth.

My Reatta turn signal blinker was really loud because it was low on blinker fluid and it was old dino fluid. all should flush theirs smile.gif just like the brake fluid.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Bob from Ga.

Padgett-my cam magnet was good and the sensor also! I'm still getting the E041, intermitten. I have already (about 6 months ago)changed plugs and wires and coil module...have you resolved yours yet? I'm pretty much groping around as well! ICM, maybe but, that's a lot of money to do trial and eror!

Yes, new plug wires seem to have fixed the problem - $35 at Autozone for Bosch 8mm. Much better than a friend who has a 97 Buick Roadmaster with a SBC: $220 for plug wires. Must be platinum wire.

Never saw an intermittant 41, sounds like wiring.