Correct paint color for Air Cleaner-'40 Roadmaster

michel88

Talk about a "Doh" moment. A while back I started up my '40 Roadmaster, that had been sitting a few weeks, by taking off the air cleaner and squirting some starting fluid in the carb. I let it warm up a while, then I decided to pull it out of the garage so it wouldn't fill up with exhaust fumes. I left the hood up and got in to pull the car out. I forgot I had set the air cleaner in front of it and ran into it when the car moved forward. I put a dent in it to my chagrin.

Now I am rebuilding the engine and painting it. I have repaired the dent in the air cleaner and now need to paint it. It is a gray color with a slight green tint and I believe it is the original color. My friend who is doing the engine rebuild thinks it should be black. Can anyone who has a '40 Buick with the 320 cu. in. engine verify the color of the air cleaner?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest imported_JPIndusi

Matt:

I agree with your suggestion for the semi-gloss finish. I don't recall the use of gloss black on 40's and early 50's air cleaners.

However, I did acquire an air silencer for a 46 to 48 Buick that was new in the box from a dealer. It had the original decal and it was flat black. Now perhaps for replacements they used flat black while on OEM they used the semi-gloss. I am not sure. What say you?

Joe, BCA 33493