1930 chevy - were is the VIN? HELP

JAYBJ

DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE VIN NUMBER IS STAMPED ON A 1930 CHEVY FRAME? I NEED THE EXACT LOCATION OF WHERE IT WOULD BE FOUND.. STILL TRYING TO VERIFY FOR CALIFORNIA DMV TO REGISTER THE VEHICLE, AND IT SEEMS TO BE A BIG HASSLE! ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED. THANKS, JAY

I am confused. To my knowledge, the term "VIN", or "Vehicle Identificatoin Number" did not exist prior to the 1960's. During the 1960's, a new federal law dictated that after a certain date during that period, manufacturers could no longer have identification numbers or serial numbers made up any way they wanted, and placed anywhere on the car they wanted. They had to start making cars with the "VIN". This had to be permantely embossed on the dash-board on the left hand side, where it could be seen from outside a locked vehicle.

Prior to that time, cars had all kinds of serial numbers. Different locations, different sequences, depending on what pleased any individual manufacturer.

For example, Packard used its engine numbers to identify its cars, and had body production numbers stamped on raised numbers on the firewall.

Has anyone seen the term ANYWHERE in ANY mfg's publications, referring to their car's serial numbers as a VIN, PRIOR to the introduction of the VIN law in the 1960's ?

We (nearly) have an answer for the perplexing VIN vs. Motor Number vs. Serial Number.

Go to http://www.vinguard.org/vin.htm

for a brief history and complete breakdown of the VIN, the latter being the most thorough I've ever seen.

For when they first appeared as mandated and referred to as VIN's, I offer up my trusty

"Red Book, Official Used Car Valuations," dated Jan.1-Feb.14, 1957.

VIN_Intro.jpg

Looking at the start of the 1955 Buick listing, middle left, and the start for 1954, lower right, it appears that as of 4/1/54, manufacturers were required to use a standardized Vehicle Identification Number, in most, but not all, cases the Motor Number. For a clearer view, go to the Photo Gallery and enlarge the <span style="text-decoration: underline">VIN Intro</span> image.

From that point (1955) onward, the Red Books (for the most part) refer to the VIN as the legal identifier for each car/truck, though it may be the Motor or Serial number.

By 1960, all but the foreign makes used a VIN in the Red Books.

TG

Yes- I agree - let me add my thanks - the straight factual information in that "link" is good to know, particuarly when you are buying a car - NOW we will KNOW FOR SURE where it was made ! I have all kinds of old Red Books and Blue Books from that and earlier periods, and you are right; some of them do use the term "vehicle identifcation number".

But as to the rambling NON factual / editorial info. on that site - utter nonsence ! And I quote "DETROIT AUTOMOBILE MFGS. BEGAN STAMPING AND CASTING IDENTIFING NUMBERS ON CARS AND THEIR PARTS IN THE MID 1950'S..."

What posseses people to say or write things when they must know it is just plain silly?

• 2 years later...
Guest koolratrods

the vin would had been stamped in the lift side wood frame right near the front of drivers side seat, i would buy one of those vin number plates on ebay and put one on the fire wall and use any number?

i sold a 31 3 window chevy that was just a frame and body when i got it , i found a title on ebay and it was used with no problem but when i sold it to a guy in ILL he waited till this year and there messing with him also

the title i had was for a "chevy 2 door"

well he said a dot guy looked up the engine number and found out it was from a 4 door ae model and the state would not title it for him? i guess he bought another car from NY that had a title and used my running gear?

go figure ,I may have a 31 chevy title but not sure?

some guy from calif wanted to buy a 2 d sedan i had for $2000 and just send hi a title?

good luck