Convertible cowl shake

Barney Eaton

How common is the problem? Check the April issue of Motor Trend. On page 46 of a comparison of a BMW M3 ($57,220)convertible and a MB CLK55 AMG ($82,725) convertible, they say "On bumpy surfaces, the M3's chassis demonstrates noticabley more cowl shake than the CLK55--a quality not betfitting a car of this caliber."<P>So don't fret Reatta convertible owners, 10 years and much technology later, the problem still exists.

HI BARNAY:<BR>About cowl shake, my '90 convertible had quite a bit of shake. <BR>I put new tires on and it help about 90% better. <BR>I always like to replace tires when I get a used car and this time it sure helped!<P>The other tec adviser ART

Art, I'm not sure if it is a science or black magic.<P>Bulletin 91-10-40 (Dec '91) Title "Convertible shake and/or jitter"<BR>This is the bulletin that added the 10mm shim under each side of the rear spring. And causes most 1991 convertibles to sit higher in the back than other Reattas.<BR>There seems to be no logic how this can fix the problem.

Guest EDBS0

Barney, Barney, Barney very important effect often used by dealers. Officially called the <I>"Placebo effect".</I> Also known as sugar pill. Robert grin.gif" border="0

My four cents worth (two each on two topics):<P>1. Visualize a side view of a Reatta convertible with the doors and top removed. You see a mass at the front and a mass at the rear, held together at the bottom by a flat floorpan. Ergo the twist'n'shake.<P>In the olden days, a massive frame (usually from a station wagon) supported the whole sheebang. But since the days of the frameless component/psuedo-monocoque body, you have what's known as "cowl shake." Ain't no special tires, struts or wishful thinkin' gonna change that, friends.<P>2. On the Maui blue '90, I have Pirelli P6000 225x60x16Rs (Z-rated). Stiff, almost harsh ride. On the new black beauty, at the urging of my tire guy, I went with P4000 225x60x16Rs (H-rated). Much smoother (not softer). <P>My four cents worth.<P>Jerry