Bought the Packard 3 window

imported_v12lincoln

Turns out it was a 36. Car is rust free but did at one time have some bullet holes in the trunk, dash was removed and a piece of oak with newer guages installed. converted to 12 volt at sometime. chrome is all in good shape, great for a driver.it has set inside the barn you see it in for last 15 years from what Ive been told. Has a 52 288 engine that is soaking and getting a few things rebuilt before I try to start it.has a floor shifted overdrive Transmission, the single side mount or tire carrier and 5 brand new 700x15 www tires. master cylinder has been upgraded, no heater, has an old after market casset player. interior is nice. It will make a great daily driver soon. see the pics I posted as it sat when I went to look at it. I only paid 1200 for it and that included delivery. Will be looking for some parts to correct the dash and the hodd and hood trim which was all hand made along with the running board trim which is all aluminum. So if anyone has any 36/37 hoods laying around please let me know.

post-33161-143137945536_thumb.jpg

post-33161-143137945539_thumb.jpg

Took me awhile to talk him down from 1500, He wanted to keep the commerant and the chevy turn signals on the front fenders. I have a new base and commerant sitting in the back room so it wasnt hard to take his offer. My wife even likes it as it looks good sitting next to our 41 5 window coupe.Im just happy she didnt shoot me.

strongly recommend you do NOT try and start it.

Any engine sitting in your part of the world, is going to have humidity damage to the cyl. walls. That means at least SOME corrosion, which, if it dosnt destroy the pistons on start-up, will certainly cause destructive wear in a few minutes of operation. And what kind of sludge has settled in the oil pan, just waiting to be sucked up to destroy your bearings and crank-shaft ?

Set up the way it is (the over-drive tranny) it really would make a great "driver". But not if you tear the lands off the pistons trying to start it.

It is too easy to "do it right". "Pulling" the motor on pre-war Packards (and, for that matter, most other cars of that era) is no big deal. Get it out, get it apart, run a hone thru the cylinders, put in fresh rings and rod bearings, and you will have a great, reliable "driver".

I once crossed the North American continent in TWO AND A HALF DAYS with one of those so called "Junior" Packard Eights, then drove it another 100,000 mi. before getting bored with it and selling it. DONE RIGHT they are great basic transportation.

P.S. What's with those bumpers ? I presume you know the hub-caps are '52 ?

Way ahead of you on getting it running. Had all the gaskets sitting here, so the head has been pulled, no rustin the cylinders, Calif has very low humidity and it was stored inside a 3000 sqft garage. clylinder bores are bright and shiny, pulled oil pan and it was as clean as new, so was the oil, which will be changed when the pan goes back on. all valves move freely. will pull the dist and prime the engine once its back together before I try to start it. Ive only done this about 50 times since I was 14.

This will make a great driver and I will enjoy it as much as my 40 180, and my 41 120 coupe. I love my Packards, The v12lincoln name was what I was resoring when I found this site, 1948 Lincoln conv. coupe, one of 16 Ive found that exsist, great looking car but undependable.

Seems like a great deal, had it been for sale for any length of time, or did you get a chance to "scoop it" before it was advertised?? I would have paid the $1,500 - or more based on the pictures alone if I had a chance to make that identical buy here in New England. The issues you describe are minor relative to the rust free body!

Hope you post another couple pics once you have spent an afternoon or two cleaning it up - I bet it will clean up nicely!

i ran into a guy at a cruise a couple weeks ago with a 37 convertible. his hood trim was missing so he had a guy make a set out of aluminum on a bridgeport. they were perfect and indistinguishable from stock. if your hood hasn't been butchered and you can't find a set lemme know, i'll try to dig out his card.