ID old engine

Chris Tilton

Not sure what this is. Got at an auction, it was mounted to a homemade tractor frame - I guess it was not uncommon to do in the 1930's.

here is info that I have from the engine:

It has a FERRO stamped on the engine left and also B107. The engine is shown in the picture and you can read a stamping on the block - 346709. It has a serial number 3037750 that is to the left of the magneto. It has a Bosch Du4 magneto Mod. 4 with the serial number 2171295.

Any idea's? Had and uncle that thought it was chevrolet. Someone else thought it was ford, but when I looked online, the head (removed and not in picture) looked different. Hopefully the picture makes the trip - first post to this group.

post-53395-143137945509_thumb.jpg

Thanks for responses - sounds like the uncle was right. Will try to find out more in the chevrolet group mentioned.

Btw - any value for this engine? Thought about fixing it up and getting it running again just for fun. But another part of me would rather sell it someone who can put it to good use. Either at a swap meet or ebay.

It is a very common engine, but looks to be externally in good condition. Magneto assembly looks very "home made". I will not say anything about the value in US, but here in Finland the price is low. few ten dollars, no more than $100. Of course if you but it running, the value is different.