brake pump "plastic" intake fitting broke off

cnvsmn

A plastic fitting broke off of my 89 Reatta'a brake pump assembly. This fitting is located at the end of the valve assembly between the electric pump and the accumulator. it appears to be held in place with a roll pin. If I had to guess, this is probably the low pressure intake for the pump.

rather than buying a complete rebuilt pump assembly at around $800 I am trying to source this plastic fitting. Does anyone have a source for this part? as a fall back idea, I was going to ask a local machine shop (a friend) to machine one out of brass. Any thoughts on this idea?

Thank you in advance, Chuck in Ohio

I am assuming you are referring to the plastic elbow that is on the back end of the pump and has the flexible hose connected to it and that hose goes to the bottom of the fluid reservoir. I might have an extra but probably not. A while back someone posted that these special elbows are still available new. Search on this site and you will probably find the post.

It is very important to change the brake fluid every 3 years or so and I always tell people to cut off the flexible hose about an inch down from the top of the hose on this elbow so they can drain all the fluid out of the reservoir. You can then cut the remaining piece off lenghtwise to remove it. If you try and remove the hose while it is still attached to the elbow very often you will break the elbow. There is plenty of slack in the hose to be cut off several times.