wheels, yet again

Richard S

I'm sure this point has been covered and recovered. As we all know, any 5 X 114.3 bolt pattern wheel will fit the lugs of our cars. But these cars are both lug and hub-centric. That is, the hub has a lip so that the center hole of the wheel has to be the correct size. Many really beautiful 5 X 114 or 115 wheels will seem to fit, but the hub will have to be drilled out first. You are not limited to GM products. Many Mustang wheels have the correct bolt patter and hub size.

Another consideration is tires. With the high end and performance cars coming from the factory, dealer option, and aftermarket all going to larger and larger wheels, it will be increasingly difficult to find 16" tires. Personally, I prefer the 17" wheel. Used 17s can be found readily on the private market, tires are plentiful at decent prices, and they just plain look good. I continue to feel that the only design flaw in our cars is the appearance of that cavernous wheel well, particularly the rear. Anything that "fills it up a bit" is plus.

Richard, myself and Ranger have 1990 black convertibles with Black tops and are using 17" Buick Lucerne chrome wheels.The bolt patterns match perfectly and the center caps even have the Buick tri-shield emblems. I saved a considerable amount of money by shopping for a set of takeoff wheels and tires. The set I bought had 26 miles on them. Attached is a photo showing the wheels.

post-46439-143137945324_thumb.jpg

Guest F14CRAZY

My 114.3x5 Mustang 17''s fit perfectly on the hub. No drilling needed.

I do like the Lucerne wheels in chrome, pewter would probably good too with certain body colors.

With me though, they ought to have thinner sidewalls and larger rotors behind them cool.gif

Guest Ranger

The wheel dealer in Phoenix that I dealt with had both the matte finish and the chrome Lucerne 17" wheels/tires, I was lucky enough to try on both pair of "shoes" before buying. There was no question but to get the chrome when compared, particularly on the black car, they were $50 a wheel more. While I was looking at the wheels, the back casting said they were made in Belgium! I had the Konig 17" Typhoons on my red convert, they had the matte finish and looked great. Both wheel/tire combinations filled the wheel wells, I get a little front rub on the inner fender liners when I really crank the wheel, so, I don't crank the wheel.

What size tires are you running? I paid $100 for a very nice set of Mustang 17s that were mounted with 255/50/17s. I was attracted to the Mustang wheels because they have a little more offset than most GM wheels. The tires probably have only about 5k left on them, but I wanted to see if I could run them on my car. I just put them on last night so all is conjecture. The left rear is very tight because of the liner covering the fuel filler tube. If they don't work, I have a pair of 245/50 I can try on the back. I anticipate having to go with something smaller in the front.

Guest TommyH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: F14CRAZY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> 2reatta1.jpg </div></div>

Remember this, Phil?

2reatta12withbumper.jpg

2reatta1-1.jpg

Guest TommyH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olbuickman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Richard, myself and Ranger have 1990 black convertibles with Black tops and are using 17" Buick Lucerne chrome wheels.The bolt patterns match perfectly and the center caps even have the Buick tri-shield emblems. I saved a considerable amount of money by shopping for a set of takeoff wheels and tires. The set I bought had 26 miles on them. Attached is a photo showing the wheels.</div></div>

What yaer lucern?

Guest Ranger

Tommy,

Mine are also from a 2007, they call them "take-offs" because they take them off a new car, and put some "custom" wheels/tires (dubs) on it, that's why they don't have any miles on them. After talking with Frank, I decided not to go with the spacers, it's very close on the strut tower, but I drove the car from AZ to MN after checking with a suspension shop, they said the spacers weren't needed, no problems.

I'm evidently in a minority on this, but th current low profile tires hold out no appeal to me. Both my 88 and 89 was/is mounted with stock tire sizes, and as can be seen I have an afinity for raised white letter tires. Alas, the Winston Winner GT is no longer available, and I had to settle for a somewhat less appealing design. I've searched high and low for replacing my damaged stock wheel on the '89 (see pic) to no avail, and I'm now beginning to look around for something else that would fit the bolt pattern> I saw a '90 Riviera with attractive spoke wheels that appeared to be OEM wheels, and wonder if those would fit without a problem. It seems that it would be easier to find four of those than one Reatta wheel.

post-31407-143137945872_thumb.jpg

post-31407-143137945874_thumb.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: olbuickman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">TommyH, the wheels and tires are off a 2007 Lucerne. Mine are 17". I used a 1" wheel adapter on my front wheels to get more clearance from the spring/strut tower. Frank</div></div>

Why did you need the adaptor? I was thinking the distance between the lower spring bed that is part of the strut, and the hub is fixed, is it not? As long as the tire clears the spring bed of the strut, it will stay clear, won't it?

After reading my comments about being in search of replacement stock wheels, Richard S. contacted me by E-mail and generously offered me two extra wheels he had. "Just come, and get them," he wrote. I picked them up this afternoon.

Richard, you're a gentleman's gentleman. Thank you.

It was a pleasure meeting Scott and his wife, who patiently baked in the sun while we talked Reattas. His red 89 looks even better in person that on the picture. His kind comment in the preceeding post demonstrates how something as small as 2 15" wheels can conceal something as large as one's true nature. I wish I could so easily convince the neighbors who complain to the City about the 2 covered project cars in my drive.