I don't know offhand, but I'll find out. I produce the Texaco.com web site for Chevron, and I'll forward this to our historian.

As a shameless plug, we're running an online contest: Texaco Car of the Decades. Entry at this URL is free, but it ends September 4. Public voting and an expert panel of judges will choose our winners, one of whom will get a VIP package to the Daytona 500 and a $500 gift card.

Jonas, Shameless plug or not, I have entered my car. I need to take some more photos and go back and edit my entry with photos from the appropriate angles, but for now, I just put in enough photos so your site would accept the entry. It looks like fun.

Nice item! It think it may be British. Plates like these were commonly fitted to the dash on cars sold in the UK, and I've seen a lot similar to yours. I did a quick search for Ford dealers in Alton, England and didnt turn up anything existing today with that name, but Im sure some additional research might provide some history on exactly where it came from and an approximate date for it.

Terry

This was purchased from a dealer in Scotland, but it could have been from anywhere. If anyone from the UK can identify the dealership I'd love to know, but I bought it only because of the Ford/Texaco connection. I've come about this close to putting onto the dash of a Model T but...

Regarding the Dodsworth & Co. Ltd. piece, our historians looked through several catalogs and couldn't find that one. They confirm that it is from after 1930 from some reference material:

"The launch of the Golden Motor Oil campaign in 1930 was the first marketing promotion of the Texas Oil Company in the UK and had been keenly awaited by employees. The graphic device, showint the oil pouring over Texaco's name, was to appear frequently in the company's promotional material."

post-53394-143137945601_thumb.jpg

There is currently at Ford dealer in Alton. I don't have an email contact for them but here is the info I got from the Ford Dealer locator in the UK. It might be worth a letter to inquire about their history. Maybe their name changed, or someone there might know about the history of that or other dealers in the area.

Caffyns Ford BUTTS ROAD, ALTON GU34 1NE. ALTON GU34 1NE Tel: 01420 83993 Fax: 01420 82197

I lived in Scotland for several years, still have a 1935 Morris Eight. Went back to the dealer where it was sold new and although there was a modern building there now, there was an old shop out back that had once been part of the original garage. They had a retired part-time janitor who not only gave me a few trinkets from the 30's that were still laying around, but pulled out a little black book and called the folks who had purchased the car new. It was quite a thrill for all of us.

A lot of the fun of collecting is researching the details and learning the story behind the objects.

Terry