Sign in to follow this  
trimacar

suction cup tool - uses?

Hi- my wife just bought a couple of handles for her father, to help him get around in the bathroom...I look at these, and surely they could be useful in car restoration somehow? ideas? They hold liike the dickens, picking up hoods, doors, attaching to a car to help push????? I do not own stock in this company, just think they are interesting!! David Coco

http://support-mobility.drleonards.com/Support-Mobility/Bathroom-Aids/Safety-Bath-Handles/40455.cfm

I use a couple of old suction cups from my kids' baby toys to hold side glass up in the door channel when working inside the door. The weight of the glass wedged against the suction cup and the door frame only forces the cup into the glass harder, holding it firm. I've never had one fall yet.

I'm pretty sure I've seen a very similar suction type tool used by glaziers for years now. A tool with two 5" cups would be able to hold/lift over 500 pounds.....Bob

In the 60's I saw similar tools used at GM Assembly to pick up windshield and carry it to car to install.

John

Good suction cups are great for pulling dents out of sheet metal, especially wide shallow dents.

The ones glaziers use work great, they seem to have the most suction.

I carry one to flea markets and second hand shops. Not for anything to do with the items there, just to retrieve the missus when she gets carried away rooting through stuff. They will stick to backs and buttcheeks equally well! grin.gif