Trivia for "A"ers

Steve_Mack_CT

I was reading Henry's Lady last night (great book-tho some of the restos are not authentic)At any rate the book is dedicated to Mr. Birch!

Here's another....

True or False.. The Model A Colors L'Anse Green, Kewanee Green, are named after Michigan Cities...

This is a good thread! I did something like this for our club newsletter but I made it too hard as no one got all the answers..Maybe I'll post them here tonight.

Actually there's a Kewanee(I think it's a county) in Michigan too!

But yea you got it.......

Another true or false...

In 1928 Edsel Ford was reviewing some advertisements for printing. One of the ads- a Coupe had a different shade of blue than it was supposed to have. Edsel liked the 'improper' shade of blue and it became a new Ford color.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
Guest ewing

Gee, this is an interesting thread, I wonder if it can be resusitated?

So I have no idea what A Henry Ford drove... I figure I can find it on the net somewhere, but in the mean time I'm going to guess a tudor, as he was starting to get up in age and I'm thinking he would want the warm comfort of a closed car!, or maybe he drove a Cabriolet??

Guest ewing

Well I was close, it was a closed car with 2 doors.

So Steve, what the next trivia question?

So , looking at my car list, you can see I don't have a Model A, but back in the 60's, I spent a lot of time in the garage with my dad restoring a 1930 Model A Cabriolet.

I think he already asked the next question...

"This would seem to debunk the popular story that Henry Ford never had a ( )?...."

And I have no idea what popular story about Henry Ford not having "___________"? he is talking about.

I guess I haven't heard enough popular stories about Henry Ford.

Guest ewing

Oh yea, gee, I read it as a piece of information everyone would know( except me of course)...

This is all I can find in a quick search...

told his father, "I never had ...any particular love for the farm.'

Doesn't seem to fit the question neatly but that's the best I can do for now.

I have heard (and seen it written as a trivia question somewhere) that Henry Ford never had a driver's License. I am still unsure if this is correct or not.

Can anyone name any famouse people who drove Model As?

Guest ewing

I'm searching and drawing a blank. The best I can do on this .... so far... is that the three stooges had a Model A in one of their movies, and its not even clear if they drove it.

They sold literally millions of them, you'd think I could find at least one documented!

I guess we can say Henry Ford drove one, and you'd think one of his buddies would drive one to, like Edison, and Firestone??

Guest ewing

I have found a good answer to the question 'famouse people who drove Model As'. Since you didn't ask who owned and drove, this should qualify. clydebarrowro4.jpg

This would be Clyde Barrow, of the famous ( infamous? ) Bonny and Clyde. They drove Fords exclusively, apparently and graduated to the Ford V8 from the Model As. Probably never actually owned one, but certainly did drive them in the day.

A side bit of trivia, does anyone know what Clyde's middle name is/ was?

btw, he also reportedly stole and drove an A400 convertible at one time.

And, I will keep on looking for famous Model A drivers!

Guest ewing

Right on. With a middle name of Chestnut, its no surprise he chose a life of crime. lol

Now I'll leave the next trivia A question to the master.... Steve, next?

Guest ewing

Henry F. Phillips (1890 – 1958), a U.S. businessman from Portland, Oregon, has the honor of having the Phillips-head screw and screwdriver named after him.

The importance of the crosshead screw design lies in its self-centering property, useful on automated production lines that use powered screwdrivers. Phillips' major contribution was in driving the crosshead concept forward to the point where it was adopted by screwmakers and automobile companies.

Although he received patents for the design in 1936 (US Patent #2,046,343, US Patents #2,046,837 to 2,046,840), it was so widely copied that by 1949 Phillips lost his patent.

Guest ewing

Sure, the internet makes most info readily available, but at least we still have to look it up, and we can acquire more 'trivia' more easily, and who doesn't need to more trivia.

One question that is hard to 'google' is the famous Model A drivers.... there must be more out there, and a lot of this info seems hard to find.

Guest ewing

here's one that has always made me wonder, do different cars have a different landau iron configuration, or is it just that restorers are not paying attention. Since these irons can function in more than one installed position, I often see them on wrong ( in my opinion).

So what do you think .... what is the correct installed position for the Model A landau irons, on the cabriolet ( and sport coupe for that matter, although they are not hinged).

What do you say.... A, B, C, or D? adetailgs1.jpg

Guest ewing

If is surprising how many I see as in 'C', although 'A' is the configuration in original literature and pictures.

If you install them as B or D the irons fold back and would protrude out behind the end connection bolts when folded down. You'd be surprised how many I've even see like that... weird.

So everyone must have some little restoration detail that they often see done wrong.... What else have you most often see restored wrong on a model A?

Guest ewing

How about door handles, the ones with the slight 's' curve to them....they are opposite for right and left side, and they can be seen left to right not so infrequently.

They should be installed with the large curve into your palm.... I think ... right?

• 1 month later...
Guest Bob Call

Back to Clyde Barrow for a moment. I remember reading somewhere that after Clyde stole a new Ford V8 for one of his heists, and made a successful getaway, that he wrote Henry a very nice letter complementing him on his fine new Ford V8 as the best car he had ever driven.

Guest Bob Call

Back to Clyde Barrow for a moment. I remember reading somewhere that after Clyde stole a new Ford V8 for one of his heists, and made a successful getaway, that he wrote Henry a very nice letter complementing him on his fine new Ford V8 as the best car he had ever driven.

Depending on your source some say this actually happened, others say it was a hoax, perhaps even initiated by Ford marketing people. A couple recent issues of the national (MARC & MAFCA) magazines document several members of the Barrow gang in various cars - almost all either Model As or early V-8s.

• 1 month later...

Art Tatum who was probably the greatest Jazz paino player ever had a Model A. He was nearly blind and had a driver, but was known to yeild to the temptation to drive it himself.

Phil

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Steve_Mack_CT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have heard (and seen it written as a trivia question somewhere) that Henry Ford never had a driver's License. I am still unsure if this is correct or not.

Can anyone name any famouse people who drove Model As? </div></div>

• 3 months later...

All Canadian model a used philips for interior screws.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim_Cannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one:

We all know that there were no Phillips head screws on an original Model A.

Anyone know why?

</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Canadian model a used philips for interior screws.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim_Cannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one:

Anyone know why?

</div></div> </div></div>

The Canadian cars used a square drive screw called Robertson drive.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

They can not have used Phillips screws because they had not yet been invented in 1928-1931.

Sometimes I think my brain is square, I stand corrected, Thankyou......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim_Cannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: juliano</div><div class="ubbcode-body">All Canadian model a used philips for interior screws.<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jim_Cannon</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's one:

Anyone know why?

</div></div> </div></div>

The Canadian cars used a square drive screw called Robertson drive.

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robertson_screwdriver

They can not have used Phillips screws because they had not yet been invented in 1928-1931.

</div></div>