Emblems_1.jpg

In the '60's, there were all kinds of junkers strewn about the fields and woods that came from my grampa's long-closed Standard Oil garage and body shop. As a kid, I'd go around and remove the emblems from them; in many cases they were all that was worth rescuing from the rusting hulks. Sadly, the cars went to the crusher about 25 years ago.

After years of casting about for a proper way to display them, a roommate supplied the answer. He'd moved out and left me an 1850's piano bench missing its lid. Made of solid cherry, it has intricately carved corinthian columns, and for a while I used it as a place for coffee table books.

Then one day I figured with a glass top, it would perfectly house my growing emblem collection. I wish they were the really old stuff, but you gotta work with what you have. The '56 Lincoln is new (the Premiere is original), and all the '50s & '60's items have been added since the '80's. The Dort is a watch fob. The brass '42 Dodge is from the trunk of the car my folks had when they were married in 1952.

I love 'em all, and now the coffee table is a real conversation starter. They all have a little story behind them (and I know what they're all off of), but I don't want to bore you with the details.

Emblems_2.jpg

Emblems_3.jpg

Emblems_4.jpg

And no, I don't harbor the slightest guilt for having them; with every glance, I feel like I'm looking at grampa and grandma, and it's summertime in Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

TG

Wow-what memories those things bring back! Nice display-relly like the coffee tablel idea. A good friend locally has a glass top coffee table with some slide out drawers and he keeps changing around his displays depending on the holiday or season. It's a great way to show off your stuff. How far up in Mich are you? I started in this hobby in Battle Creek-well south of you I'm sure, but there were some nice places up north to pick up stuff like these emblems. Some great old junk yards that Im sure have now disappeared.

Terry