1948 Lincoln Cont. Hydrolic Windows

MarkV

when u press the button, 2 things happen: the solonoid opens with a click, and the pump runs fluid into the cylinder through the clicked open valve...

pump looks like a starter tall and upright with a "starter" solonoid bolted to it..full of brake fluid..best to remove , clean out clean connections...

i dont know if any sub for brake fluid....

when it runs and works..look for spray though chrome

springey hose covers in door jambs..ohboy..

look at switch..chk power with test light..backs are marked

i think...

jb

Guest imported_V12Bill

Best replacement for brake fluid in pump is ATF. It will not eat the paint if spilled and does not absorb moisture from the air. Fill resevoir with ATF and operate windows and top, discard and refill with ATF a couple of times to get rid of the brake fluid.

Are windows up or down? Pushing window switch either way opens solenoid in bottom of window ram to allow fluid to run in or out. Pushing switch up also activates pump. Is pump working? Corrct pump solenoid also has a butten on the bottom to activate solenoid. Push butten momentarially to see if pump works. If pump works, have assistant activate window switch while you activate solenoid butten. If window goes up, then you have a break in wire from switch to pump solenoid.

Well, the windows are down, and it just clicks when I press the button, maybe there is no fluid in there, when I get home, I will take a look, but, I will be sure to replace it with ATF. So, the pump has a switch on the bottom? Maybe it is a wire problem and maybe there is not enough power going to it and maybe the fluid is low. My mechanic actually found water in the pump, he thinks that he might be able to fill it back up and it might work fine. I dont know.

Somewhere previously in this forum there was a lengthy discussion of the best fluids to substute for the nasty brake fluid in the power top and windows of our Lincolns.

Ford switched to power steering fluid (which I believe to be a clear version of ATF - please correct me if I'm wrong on this) for their hydraulic systems some years ago. I've been using ATF in my convertible Mustang for some 27 years with no apparent problems.

Someone recently informed me that Naraganssett Restorations uses Marvel Mystery Oil in their hydraulic systems. I don't know why this would be superior to ATF but there must be some reason that they're using it.