Sign in to follow this  
Ken G

Bulk purchase of engine oil?

This seems so simple a need, and yet I cannot find a supplier on the internet.

My Rover needs 6 US gallons, yes gallons, of oil (common to the engine, gearbox and clutch). I am getting tired of buying oil in quarts at the quart price (have you tried emptying 24 little bottles!); I used to be able to buy 1 gallon bottles, but even they appear to be longer available except in 10-30. I want to purchase a drum of 20-50 oil; I see that 60 liter drums exist, but the distributors will only sell to dealers. Can anyone suggest where I can buy a drum of 20-50 at a reasonable price, either across the counter or mail order?

Ken G, 1925 Rover 16/50 (San Francisco)

You can buy 30 and 55 gal drums of oil here at any parts store, and Sam's Club carries the 55 Gal size.

Wait.... you are in California... who knows? do they tax oil to the consumer at a different rate? perhaps by the container rather than as a percentage of the product by volume? Crazy enviornmental / recycling laws? Nothing would surprise me anymore from California, especially if the socialst politicians can play the green card.

Have you checked different distributors? Here in PA they will beat your door down to sell you a 55 gal drum and even deliver for free. Also check farm supply houses. Most farmers around here buy by the drum.........Bob