wish I would've __ when built garage

If you're like me, you've built a garage and thought you had everything covered. Then you start working in it and realize you missed something.

My question is what would you change if you could do it over again.

Mine are:

1. wider bay doors. almost need to grease sides of dually to get it in. My dad convienced me these were wide enough.

2. I would have added a gable end exhaust fan at the time of construction to help cool crawl space.

3. made it another 12' wider for office space/parts room/ large equipment room.

I would have built it as big as I wanted instead of how big my wife convinced me to downsize it to. It would have been 24X40 instead of 24X36. I would have also put in Central Heat and Air instead of relying on the Window Unit. (I like to keep my cars comfortable.)

BIGGER, Always bigger. Also a 12' ceiling is MINIMUM, 13'-14' is much better. Also put in the best and the most lighting you can afford and switch it so you can light just the parts of the shop as needed.......Bob

Well I built what I wanted. Having said that after 25 years of use like most of the posts so far it should be bigger but not a lot. Mine is 48' wide by 30' deep with the center 24' having a full second floor, barn style building.

What I would change.

9'6" ceilings are a little to low for a lift, who would have though I could ever have afforded a lift 25 years ago.

As Nova I should have made at least the two main doors wider and probably higher.

The construction I used has two 6X6 support posts in the center of the main area. Now I would spring for I-Beams and give myself a full 24 foot clear area. I may make this modification someday.

The biggest mistake I made was I should have made it 36' or even 38' deep. 30' is not deep enough to put two full size cars end to end, a nice feature at times. I'm considering adding a shed addition out the back and opening up at least part of the back wall to fix this one.

Guest oldsmobile1915

I'm not sure what might be missing in my garage yet... I am wrapping up the construction of mine now... (a few more months off from completion)

When you read through this, keep in mind that this garage is strictly for my hobby - not a business. My wife and I built the garage before the house, and then we decided to move in. We will build the house eventually, but we just had a baby girl (on 7/24/07) and wanted to actually raise our kid in a barn!

My garage is:

* 48'x72'x16' at the eve, (see 1)

* 5/12 roof pitch,

* 6" thick of fiber reinforced concrete with rebar mesh,

* Radiant floor heat throughout the garage, (see 2,4,5 )

* Chain anchors into the floor (for fender pulling / frame straightening)

* Vehicle exhaust ventilation system installed in the floors

* 2 post and 4 post lifts (see 3)

* Full bathroom facilities

* slop sink, parts washer, blast cabinet, fully stocked toolbox, etc.

* Garage refrigerator

* control room which contains (see 4,5,6)

- Compressors

- Electrical circuits

- Takagi Hot water on demand

- Prestige Boiler system (for radiant floor heat)

- Cable / Satellite television distribution system

* Over 50 Drops of CAT5e internet access (see 6)

* An isolated all purpose room (I can't say paint booth in my town due to zoning regulations) *wink wink*

* Air chucks built in through out the garage to reduce hose length

* 220 service for plasma cutter / tig, stick, mig welders

* Second floor storage and living space

* The 4 post lift allows for my Pick-up Truck to be raised and have the tailgate level with the second floor (to work as an elevator for heavier items. (see 7)

* Roughly 1800sqft has been sectioned off for living space (which could be rented out when we build the house next to the garage).

My wife is a saint (see 8). In the living space above the garage, she even allow me to put an air chuck in the kitchen for power tools!

We're hoping to put up the house in a few years after construction is completed with the garage.

I'll update the post when the garage is finished with more photos.

All the best...

post-45023-143137944581_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143137944584_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143137944587_thumb.jpg

post-45023-14313794459_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143137944593_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143137944595_thumb.jpg

post-45023-143137944598_thumb.jpg

post-45023-1431379446_thumb.jpg

Wow!! Some neat and unique ideas. I wonder how long it will take you to think of something you wished you would have thought of when building it.

I've never seen a "hobby" garage so well equipped (Jay Leno's garage notwithstanding).

Here's one thiing you should think about: joining the AACA. We'd love to see your Oldsmobiles at one of our shows, especially Hershey.

You may know by now that the AACA executive director is an Oldsmobile nut.

Guest oldsmobile1915

Hey West and group,

Steve (AACA) is a pretty cool guy (we've chatted a few times). I bought my first Oldsmobile back in 1990 (My '48 olds - when I was 16) Since that time I finished High school, was in college (for 12 years), then got married, and a job, now this garage construction and we just had our first child 3 weeks ago today.

I'm 33 years old now (trying to cut my car collection back to from 26 to 16), and with all that is going on I'm afraid that I wouldn't have enough time to devote to clubs.

I have been considering joining... If I did join, what would I have to do and what are some of the benefits? Are there any guys my age into wood spoke wheels (or just muscle cars?)

If you, or any other car nut is in the Geneseo, NY Area and wants to hang out... Please stop by - we can chat or play.

Thanks again,

GENESEE VALLEY ANTIQUE CAR SOCIETY REGION Would be a good one to check into. The are based out of the Rochester area. Ex98th is a member. GVACS is a pretty active club with tours, picnics, thier annual show, etc. My folks were members when I was growing up. I posted the link to thier website. Like any AACA region, you need to be a member of the national orginization too. The dues to national are worth it for the bi-monthly magazine you'll recieve. There are a number of younger folks that are into the "older "stuff. I'm 41 and into '63 Chevrolet Chevy IIs. There are the Healds, who are slightly older than I and they have a 1914? Maxwell, and 1908 Mora (built in Wayne County, minds is fuzzy at the moment I think it was in Newark). Ex98th has from a Whippet to King Cobra to a fire truck.

Joe

With a garage like that, I don't think it will be long before the path to it is well travelled with antique car buffs! As Novaman says, there are a lot of us young guys interested in wood spokes, wire wheels, and lever shock absorbers.

Besides for the great people in the AACA and its magazine (we can send you a complimentary issue, if you PM your address to me), we are getting ready to announce a whole list of benefits that will make it more than worth your while to join. In fact, it would seem outright rediculous to NOT to join.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldsmobile1915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey West and group, I'm 33 years old now (trying to cut my car collection back to from 26 to 16), and with all that is going on I'm afraid that I wouldn't have enough time to devote to clubs.

I have been considering joining... If I did join, what would I have to do and what are some of the benefits?</div></div>

Joe

I've got more information for you. As a member, you don't HAVE to do anything, unless you want to have fun.

1. As someone who is in the process of restoring automobiles, how does FREE research from the AACA's fabulous librarian sound? With AACA membership, you get a limited amount.

2. Have you ever wanted to go to the AACA Museum in Hershey? Admission is free if you're an AACA member.

3. Do you subscribe to any of the collector car hobby publications? -- Hemmings, Olds Cars, Car Collector, Cars & Parts, Automobile Quarterly -- There are some pretty good discounts if you are a member of AACA.

4. $5 Coupon from Advance Auto Parts

5. Discounts on Franklin Mint Die Casts

6. Bank of America Credit Card Program with World Points

If you only take advantage of just one or two of these benefits, membership pays for itself, making our magazine FREE to you.

Send me your address (StelvioGT @ yahoo.com) and I'll send you a current issue of our magazine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldsmobile1915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are there any guys my age into wood spoke wheels (or just muscle cars?)</div></div>

I'm also 33, and I am of the opinion that interesting cars ceased to be built after 1933. I don't currently own any wood spoked wheel cars, but do wires count?

There seems to be a few younger people posting on this forum. I'm going to a meeting tonight of the local AACA region, and I'm betting I'll be at least 20 years younger than the next youngest person. I am always trying to get friends in my age bracket into older cars, but it's not easy.

Too bad Geneseo is 400 miles away from here (Damn, New York is a big state!).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I am always trying to get friends in my age bracket into older cars, but it's not easy. </div></div>

We have too many other non-important things like full-time jobs, young families, kid's ball games, boy/girl scouts, (and for the singles trying to find a mate) to be bothered with the most important things in life... old cars! wink.gifgrin.gif

Guest Bigboi

I built a steel skinned structure and it functioned. The only thing I would do next time is to use bona fide wood framing and sheeting. There is nothing like it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bigboi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing I would do next time is to use bona fide wood framing and sheeting. </div></div>

I could play my vintage radios. . .the steel siding on my building kills AM reception.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oldsmobile1915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, My wife is from Long Island (Nassau County - East Meadow) so I may be in your area. smile.gif

</div></div>

Hey Joe, if you're in the area (I'm about 90 minutes from East Meadow) and want to see some old cars, I'd love to give you a quick tour. There are some neat collections around here. Shoot me an e-mail if you're in town.

• 1 month later...
Guest toybox99615

Electrical circuits

When I built my shop I made sure I went overboard with electrical circuits. I place outlets every 4 feet with two circuits in every wall; every other outlet is on the other circuit. By placing the outlets on two circuits you can have access to two outlets on separate breakers eliminating everything shutting down if you trip a breaker. In the corners you end up with four circuits/breakers. It might sound a bit overboard but when your plugged into several and one circuit goes your very rarely in the dark.

When I wired this shop this way an electrician friend of mine thought I was wasting a lot of effort and money. I asked him how much extra did he thing the materials were over what he would have done. He told me I probably wasted $ 150 in extra stuff. When I asked him how much he would charge me if I had done it his way first and then discovered I needed a second circuit in one of the walls after the building was completed. He smiled and said he could probably surface wire a second circuit along one wall for $ 250. I think my way worked out better in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Joe, congratulations on your dream garage, what a great setup!

I am 39 and do not currently own any prewar cars but they are the most interesting to me and I have my eyes open. As I complain about always being the youngest guy at the show I am pleased to see several members here on the site that are my age and younger, hope this is a trend that expands. $35 for the AACA is worth it for the magazine alone, and you are within a few hundred miles of lots of activity, including Hershey. Good luck, Todd

By the way, regarding garage setup, I am glad I installed steel lines for air rather than drag a hose all over the floor.

The only issue is mount the outlets high, at about eye level so you do not hit everything on the workbench with the hose every time you use it.