Canfield Ohio Flea Market Sept. 2007

greenie

I attended once a few years ago. Wasn't impressed. Seemed to be far too many vendors with the same stuff you see at every swap meet - made in Taiwan tools, T-Shirts, brand new wheels, repro collectables and parts for newer cars and hot rods, oh, and too many die-cast toy cars. If it's changed since please let me know and I'll give it one more try, but in my estimation a lot of good old swap meets have gone the same way. There aren't any more of the small hobby type vendor with surplus parts for sale.

At one time we considered a separate forum just for swap meet reviews but you know what they say about opinions.

Terry

If you decide to go, please share your observations.

Living nearby, I attend all 3 Canfield shows, but the spring show is getting bigger every year and the fall show is also growing. (Summer show is like most other summer shows - flat). While not as large as Carlisle, the fairground is well maintained on level ground with paved roads. The car corral is very active and prices of the cars for sale are considerably less than those at Carlisle.

The increase in t-shirts, Chinese tools, die cast cars are everywhere today. We will never again see the old time flea markets with all of the parts dragged out of a barn. Overall, I still greatly enjoy walking around the Canfield show, but I bypass the toys (mostly indoor vendors). Last year I found an original glass tail light lens for my 1939 LaSalle for $3. There was one on Ebay for over $100 recently. I also have picked up some other finds, but it is extremely difficult to locate parts for a LaSalle anywhere and this includes Carlisle and even Hershey.

Also the Canfield show is primarily a Saturday-Sunday show and most vendors leave by 2-3 PM on Sunday. Some vendors are still setting up on Friday, but the biggest day is always Saturday.

By the way, notice that Carlisle is not what it once was, other than the spring show, which can be attributed to "pent up demand". The Internet, Ebay and high fuel prices, as well as ever increasing entrance fees also enters into the flea market decline of late.

If you are within a couple of hours driving range, the Canfield show might be enjoyable, but driving from VA is probably a little too far.

Fred

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 48Buick</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When is the Sept flea market? </div></div>

Sept. 14,15,16

I used to love the Canfield swap meet. When I left the Pittsubrgh area it was still growing, but the influence of eBay was already apparent. By 2001 it was about 1/3-1/4 the size of Carlisle. The # of NOS parts vendors had tailed off already, even though the size of the thing was still getting bigger. Never the less, I always found my best bargains there (especially for literature and good quality tools, but also for Buick and Mopar parts), including quite a few things for my daily driver. Even then it was mainly a Chevy event, with "lesser" (<span style="font-style: italic">wince</span>) make parts being less common but genuine bargains! I even bought my kid's first real bicycle there.

However if the shrinking of the Springfield meet is any indication of what's happening in Canfield, things may be changing rapidly for the worse there as well.

Although I'm not quite ready to make the leap and blame ebay for the decline of swap meets, it has made it easier for those who need parts to find them without having to wade through all the other junque. I'm sure that most ebayer's would rather pay postage than admission.

Terry

Thanks for your opinions. We'll make the 250 mile trek because dedicated flea market lovers are hopelessly optimistic. I think we are spoiled by the large swap meets and try to measure everything against the fall meet at Hershey. The truth is some of the best finds are in more obscure places. Ebay is a nice diversion between events but it will never replace the experience of walking up on a great part and bargaining face to face with the seller.

• 1 month later...

We just returned from 2 days at Canfield. The 266 mile trip out on the Pa Turnpike was fine as the weather and the traffic were great. Swapmeet was a pleasant surprise. About 1/2 the size of Carlisle, but almost every space was auto related. Nice operation and the people in eastern Ohio were friendly, and great to deal with. Came home with the truck loaded with bargains. Canfield Fairgrounds is a beautiful old agricultural facility that functions well for these events. Pleanty of restrooms- and none of them portable. Now on our regular schedule of events.

Glad you enjoyed your visit. I do remember the facility as being ideal for that kind of event. So what did you find? Was there any pre-war stuff there? I may try and give it another shot while Im travelling if I can time things just right.

Terry

Purchased a decent grille for a '33 Chevy for $20, a fairly solid rear fender for a '41-'46 Chevy/GMC pickup for $60. Those two alone paid for the trip. Canfield has very few professional vendors, instead most are hobbyists intent on cleaning out their stash of unwanted parts. Sort of refreshing.

Thats as big change from what I've experienced - heard it was getting like Carlisle with every other space full of cheap tools and die-cast toys. Sounds like I should give it another shot. Any brass era junque there?

Terry

I was at the Canfield show on Saturday and stood in a fast-moving line to get in, which was indicative of the full aisles and many restorers looking for stuff. I was looking for some of the old braided wire without success and came upon a vendor who had NOS old wire harnesses for various cars. I only needed some replacement wire, but at $5 per harness, bought almost all he had. The show starts on Friday, but Saturday is the busiest day. Sunday it winds down quickly.

If you have the time, the <span style="font-weight: bold">spring</span> Canfield show is the biggest show in NE Ohio and is growing each year. In the spring, the vendor area overflows onto the 1/2 mile race track. The car corral is always interesting and full of decent cars at prices which are friendlier than at Carlisle or Hershey. If you don't like die cast toys, those vendors usually setup indoors, so just bypass the indoor spots.

My recommendation for the Canfield show in order of preference:

1) Spring Canfield Show (larger than fall show)

2) Fall Canfield Show (not quite as large as spring, but growing)

3) Summer Canfield Show (not a bad show, but no comparison to the above two shows)

Paved roads, level ground on nice grass, plenty of free parking, good restroom facilities, rasonable entrance fee. Watch your speed while driving in Canfield - plenty of police, but the upside is relatively no crime. I love Canfield.

Fred Zwicker