Nailhead 425 Carburator

Guest NorwegianRivRoy

Guest NorwegianRivRoy

I have the Edelbrock #1411 carburator mounted on my 425 engine. But it seems to me that the old original carb gave more power than the modern (brand new) one?!? Is there anyone who has experience with different carbs? What seems to be the best modern option for the nailhead?

What is wrong with the old, orig carb?? Just curious.

Be aware that the Edelbrock AFBs are "universal fit" and do NOT have metering characteristics completely suited to your engine (as the OEM AFB did). To get it "right", you'll probably need to go to the Edelbrock website and download their tuning manual for the AFB (what to change and how to determine what does need to be changed, for example, by testing and repeated road testing--which are time consuming, to say the least). This tuning/customization will require the additional purchase of what we used to call the "AFB Strip Kit" (back when Carter was still building AFBs and AVSs), which will have a selection of jets, primary metering rods, power piston springs, and accel pump nozzles).

There's a poster in the BCA Forums that knows how to get the Edelbrock AFBs calibrated for a Buick Nailhead V-8. You might do a search (Carb King?) in the forums for this same subject.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest NorwegianRivRoy

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply! Will see if I can find something useful at the Edelbrock homepage. The old carb is a total wreck..the accelerator pump-housing was worn out, and a new piston was still too small.. Pluss it leaked through a crack...aso.