rear end leak on 36 special

Guest Jeff_Miller

Guest Jeff_Miller

After rebuilding the rear master cylinders on my 36 special I was quite disappointed to see fluid under the tires. I assumed I had screwed up putting the thing back together but after tearing it apart again it appears that the fluid is not brake fluid.

It looks to me like there is fluid coming from the rear axel into the wheel area. I imagine there must be some sort of seal in the rear axel but I don't have any detailed info on where it might be.

Is this likely to be something on the wheel end of the axel and as such something that can be repaired without pulling the axel?

Is this something that I should call in the professionals for?

Jeff

Jeff,

There is a seal that mount to the backing plate for the rear wheels. It's essentially a big felt donut that fits into metal frame. Noone of the parts vendors seem to have them and I have only seen 1 pair on eBay over the last few years. I bought some felt from McMaster Carr and did my best to make the felt donuts myself before I bought the pair off eBay.

Here's a picture of my old one:

rearseal001.jpg

Here's the removed back plate. The clean area is where the seal mounted.

rearbrake001.jpg

Hope this helps.

Guest Jeff_Miller

Greg,

Thanks for the quick response and excellant photos. The guy I bought the car from had paid somebody to replace the differential and axels and I bet they didn't replace the old seals when they were doing it.

I did a quick look on line and I can find parts for a '37 but nothing for a '36. I'll be taking it apart tomorrow morning and then come up with a plan after seeing what is happening.

Jeff