Newbie w/ 1917 2-door 6-cyl + WTB parts

Hello all

i am from France and my Dad has had this 1917 studebaker for about 8 years now, he bought it from a french museum. before then, the car used to be in the US, it got imported here around 1990. my dad has worked on many old cars but not on this one.

we would like to get in touch with people owning this type of car. we'd be happy to hear from them, and we'd like to take the opportunity to ask for a few parts and advice...

After he bought it we went for a short drive with the car. The most challenging was the steering, it has a lot of slack, about 45 degrees at the wheel, which makes driving difficult. It took the two of us to drive it, one managing the steering from the right seat, the other one managing the engine. We have not driven it since.

Now that the internet is widespread, we have seen quite a few 1917 studebakers on the web (mostly tourers), so we thought we should try to find solutions to our problems.

Biggest issue, would anyone have a spare steering box or gear set, or would have experience in having them refurbished ?

The other issues with the car are much less important:

-worn belt for the fan

-worn ratchet for the crank

-leaky and blistered gas tank

-missing pinion and cable for the speedometer

-missing latch for the hood

-broken knob for the electrical contacts

If anyone knows easy fixes or has parts to help us solve these issues, we would greatly appreciate. Anycase, we would be happy to hear if there are any other 2-door 6-cylinders somewhere else in the world...

best regards

nicolas from france

post-53110-143137943008_thumb.jpg

post-53110-14313794301_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137943018_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137943021_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137943023_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chris

nice to hear we are not on our own here !

how far are you into your restoration project ? was the car in bad condition ? can you post a few pictures ?

also, is yours a right hand drive version ? or they were only selling them left hand drive...

i am going away on holidays, but i'll be back mid september, at that time i will be able to post more photos. is there a particular area of the car you need to see in more details ?

cheers

On the issue of the speedometer gear. Look on the big road gear ( attached to the hub) and determine the gear pitch ( this is the coarseness of the teeth). It is almost readable in the picture, it is cast into the gear for example 32T-8P. This example would be 32 teeth and 8 pitch. If it is 8 pitch the proper driven gear to mount on the swivel is also 8 pitch and this type of Stewart swivel driven by the front wheel takes a 16 tooth gear. These fiber gears are available reproduction from vendors of Model T Ford parts as Ts use this gear too.

Guest 17studie

Nicolas Hi,

I am restoring a 1917 4 cylinder tourer and had some of the same problems you have listed. I had the ignition switch levers and the hood latches cast from originals. The hole in the ignition panel is for an ignition lock - which I eventually found one and had a key cut - it now all works OK. I have the smaller gear for the speedo drive - can count the teeth for you if you still need to know.

My car is progressing - chassis is now fully restored, body is at the paint shop, engine is being rebuilt.

email me direct at djcant@adam.com.au - I may be able to assist with more information etc. David (Australia)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

all,

thanks for all the information and help

i was at my parent's this weekend and had a quick look at the speedo driving gear, it is actually engraved 8Pitch, 88Teeth. i should be able to get the mating driven gear and cable + housing from Ford model T parts dealers in the US.

Layden_B do you have pictures or drawings of the different body styles you mentionned? if you could post them, i'd like to see the differences between the landau and the non-landau roadsters...

attached are a few pics of the engine and transmission. i could not make decent pics of the body this time because the garage is cramped.

post-53110-143137950712_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137950714_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137950716_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137950718_thumb.jpg

post-53110-143137950719_thumb.jpg