P15 distributor

edalweber

The 1947 Plymouth I recently bought came with a distributor other than the ones mentioned in the 1946-1952 shop manual.It is marked model 644U Chrysler Motors Solar Spark Ignition, Delco-Remy.No vacuum advance,and never had one.What looks like a metal dial on side.Saw a similar one on ebay except marked IGC4501-1Auto Lite,Chrysler Corp. Solar Spark Ignition,that came out of a 1939 Dodge truck.Why no vacuum advance,and is this usable on my Plymouth.It is not currently running.

My old 1935-1947 Blue Backed falling apart Motor-Manual states that the distributor is Autolite #IGS-4207-1 Cam Angle 38 degrees, Breaker Point Opening .020”, Condenser Capacity .25-28 Microfarads, Breaker Arm Tension in 17-20 Ounces, Centrifugal Advance 3 degrees Distributor Advance @ 475 RPM, Full Advance 9 degrees @ 1300 Distributor degrees. Vacuum Advance Data Degrees @ Inches of Mercury. Advance Starts 2 degrees @ 7 Inches of Mercury and full Advance @ 9 degrees @ 14 Inches of Mercury.

M.L. Anderson

mlander is right autolite #igs-4207-1 is the right distributer for your car, but to help narrow your search , the 1949/50 Plymouths were fitted with three different distributers, one, Autolite #igs-4207b-1 has the same specs as the one that fits your car .also i beleive any of the disys from the early 50's Plymouths will work in your car with minor adjustments to the timing.

• 2 months later...

HI Guys, real new to the club and site, but arrived and joined the club and was hunting for info on my 1930 Dodge DA Six 4 Door sedan.

I ended up here because I have an Auto Lite IGS 4207-1 distributor on my engine! From your discussion I take it this is NOT the correct one for this car. Since the car is a driver, I want to get a cap and rotor and point etc for this one while I hunt for the correct stuff.

Nice to meet others interested in these cars!

Dane Howalt

Archived