Radial Tires

pint4

Guest Jeff_Miller

In addition to the coker tire on the left, you may also want to check out diamondback www.dbtires.com.

I have no experience but I intend to swap out tires this winter and I was leaning toward diamondbacks and I would certainly be interested in any feedback you may have.

Jeff

I installed Cokers, with their suggested tubes, on my 1936 80C. They have a profile that looks like an old style tire which was important to me. I am running 5 more lb air pressure than they suggested. I really like the way the car handles now. No more constant twitching with the steering wheel.

I am concerned about this size issue. Will I need to buy a different size tire to get the same diameter as my 6.50 x 16 tires? Under radial listing, it lists a 6.50 x 16 radial tire. Is this the same size as a 6.50 x 16 bias tire? My car finds every rut or crack in the road and follows it. I feel like I'm steering a ship on rough water.

Thanks.

Bob

The 1933 series 60 should have 17" wheels 6.50x17. There are no suitable radials for 17" rims. You need 7.00x16 tires to get the same diameter. Too smal diameter will increase the engine rpm.

Radial tires are often specified as e. g. 215/85 R16 for a 16" rim. This means that the with of the tire is 215 mm = about 8.5". The hight of the tires is 0.85x215= 183 mm = about 7.2". The diameter of the wheel will then be appoximately 16+(2x7.2) = 30.4" compared to 30" for a 6.50x17 bias play tire.

Jan

• 1 month later...

I had the same trouble with my 1947 Buick Super that has the same size tires. The Denmans looked great but but were constantly getting caught in the freeway grooves due to the straight tread design. I couldn't find 6.50x16 wide whitewall radials so I went with Firestone bias ply which have a zig-zag tread design. This solved my problem; they track well and don't get caught in the freeway grooves.