Mustang Cobra

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

Let me try something new ! I resently went to a work acquantence, a Ford Dealer, and observed a sale of a Mustang Cobra. The Mustang is common in appearance to the regular Mustang except the hood louvers are reversed and it has a Cobra on each side. The car comes with a 300 HP motor, I think that's right. What was amazzing is that it sold for $68,000.00 and with taxes and paperwork was over $74K. Can anyone more familiar with Mustangs than I justify that price tag. I understand the production was first set at 9,000 and has been dropped to 7,000. <P>PS, this isn't a negative post aimed at Ford owners. Just wanted to get that straight up front.

If it's really a Mustang Cobra then the price is severely overinflated. Edmund's lists them at MSRP $29,205. Either way if your goal is 300 hp then you're paying too much; a 300+ hp Camaro checks in at $22k, and Camaros have had 300 hp since 1998 so you can pick up a used one for right around half that if you're patient.<P>But $74,000 for a production Mustang is just thievery.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest rcirilli

Bry I thought so to. The msrp on the Cobra was 59K, it sold for well over that. Needless to say the dealer made out quite well on that sale. I don't even want to say what the dealer cost was !<P>When you think of the specialty sports cars out there by GM, Chrysler, and even the new Ford Thunderbird I really don't get it.<P>I guess that's what makes the world go around.

Bob ~ There is such a thing as more money than brains. I believe that is what must come into play to sell these vehicles at those proces.<P>But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.<P>hvs

Are you sure this wasn't the 'R' code Cobra that sold for that much. My understanding of the Cobra - or at least about three years ago - there is a regular street version that sells for around $32K (fully loaded) and then there is a R code that is a street legal race version (I think it is running well over 400HP) that a select number of dealers are allowed to sale. You can not tell the difference (except the window sticker) or if you accidently pull up beside one at a traffic light with your Z28 and mistaken the car beside you for a regular Cobra. Of course you realize it when all you see are his rear taillights. grin.gif" border="0shocked.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0 <P>I am not saying this justifies the high sticker but at least you get a little something special.<P>[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: oldmotorcycles ]<p>[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: oldmotorcycles ]

If it's a Cobra R, that changes things a bit... it stickers around $55k, has 385 horsepower, and they're only building 300 of them so they're not a regular production car.<P>But they're not subtle either:<BR>mustang-cobra-r-2k-frnt.jpg<P>The car you describe sure doesn't sound like a Cobra R.<P>Cheers,<BR>Bry

Guest rcirilli

The picture I saw doesn't look like the one you posted either and I'm sure they said the production was 7,000 this year. <P>Thanks for the info though as I wasn't aware of the R either. I guess I haven't kept up very well with the new cars.