Where is the fuel filter on a 1954 Dodge Royal?

blacknails

I cannot readily locate the fuel filter on my 1954 Dodge Royal. It is not in-line between the fuel pump and the carburetor, nor on the fuel pump. Is it in the inlet to the carburetor? I have tried taking the nut off from the fuel line into the carburetor to look, but I was twisting the fuel line at the same time (it's frozen with the connecting nut to the fuel line), so have not been able to fully investigate this... Thank you in advance for any information you may be able to give me.

Do you have a glass bowl fastened to the bottom of the fuel pump? If so that is the "sediment bowl" and passes for the fuel filter on the typical older car.

It does a better job of separating out water than modern in line filters but a worse job at filtering out dirt.

The reason it is glass is so you can look at it and see if it needs to be taken apart and cleaned.

Guest edalfa

Your filter may actually be part of the fuel pump. Depending on the manufacturer it may be contained in a metal sediment bowl (as opposed to glass) on the pump. In the mid 50's Mother Mopar went through all sorts of running changes with their pumps. The aftermarket followed along. Many of the later pumps would fit and work but not look the same as the O.E.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...