1919 dodge touring oil change

dbmarkc

I just purchased the 1919 and am very excited about the car. I'm embarresed about this.......but. I am trying to change the oil and can't find the place to drain it. Also there does not appear to be a dip stick. How do I know when it is full. How many quarts does it hold? Can any one help me?

Mark

I have a 1921 owners manual and it shows a strainer and pipe on the drivers side of the pan that is to be removed and cleaned. I think this is also the drain. It says the car hold aprox. 6 qts., there is an oil indicator rod that rises with the oil level behind the starter/generator. I don't know if this transalates to your year but I thought I would try and help.

Mark

On the early 1926 to 1914 Dodges to drain the oil:

1. Open hood on carburetor side.

2. Put oil drain pan under front of oil pan.

3. Just below the starter generator at front of oil pan you will see a copper tube and two bolts holding the flange in place.

4. Carefully remove one of these bolts.

5. If oil does not come out, carefully poke a Phillips screw driver in hole to loosen sludge. Be careful there is a screen inside the pan just in front of the flange. That screen is your only oil filter. Crude, but "marginally effective". Sorry Oil filters were not invented in 1919.

6. Let drain.

7. Tighten bolt back in place. Do not over tighten. These old bolts are not good modern steel. Grade 8 is a good modern bolt. Grade 5 is OK. These at best are Grade (negative) -5, or as we call them technically "GUM GOO STEEL".

Now that you have drained the oil, it is time to add oil.

Pour in 5 quarts of 10W 30 detergent oil. Don't worry this engine is well designed and the detergent will help clean your engine. Drive and have fun for the day or so. Then changed the oil and now you have flushed your engine and it is time to drive it and enjoy the fun.

Oh as for the dip stick. Just in front of the carb and above the starter generator between the front two cylinders you will see a wire rod poking up through the block. That is the dip stick. It has a brass float soldered to it. The top of the rod should be between the cast bumps on the cylinders. Feel with your fingernails and you will notice the bumps. One at the bottom and one at the top on the front cylinder. Just stoop down and if the rod is between the bumps, step on the starter button and have fun.

Reuel (Rule).

Mark, My book says to remove the screen and clean it every 1000 miles so don't just add oil as per previous post because like was said it is your only filter, and you should know its condition. It might save you a lot of grief in the future!

Mark

I suggest you get ALL the available manuals for your car.This includes but not limited to BOOK OF INFORMATION (find the edition published around the time that your car was built) MECHANICS MANUAL available from several DB resellers. There are also publications about North East electrical system, Stewart Vaccuum tanks , and several others which escape me for now.....THESE ARE MUST HAVES FOR DB OWNERS . READ THEM STUDY THEM AND THE CAR'S VARIOUS SYSTEMS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SECOND NATURE TO YOU....most important HAVE FUN!!! And of course come back to this great forum to ask any and all (including dumb) questions as we ALL have done at one time or another..

bob ........

Mark

one more thing I agree TAKE OUT BOTH BOLTS and remove the strainer and be sure its clean. Are you sure the oil pump is operational??? DO you have oil pressure?? I would suggest a few oil changes (use cheap oil) . I first flushed the sytem with Kerosene (put through the oil filler) . Then add about 6 qts oil , Run the car a few minutes, Change the oil. I run straight 30 wt non detergent . I know there are different ideas on this .

bob

I'm agreeing with what Bobs1916 said here. Go to the top of this page to "resources" Go to the "library", go to the "online catelog." Type in 1919 Dodge brothers. This will list everything the AACA library has on your car. Kim at the library will copy, for a few bucks, and send you anything there. There is a Book of Information.

You guys are great! Thanks for the info. I have been working on 50s cadillacs and I must say that this DB is alot of fun so far( and I haven't even driven it). It helps that my wife is in love with the car. Maybe you can help me with a couple of other questions. 1. Where can I get a radiator cap? 2. I am having trouble with the exhaust manifold. I bought the $40.00 gaskets from EGGE, but I can't get them to seat right. Any tricks I should know about?

Thanks for the help.

Mark