shudder in reverse/

Guest tv56

Hello, I have a few questions about my 56 46r special. When I put the car in reverse

it shudders, like its running rough. Only when it is in reverse. Also, what should I

check first to find out why the front end is so loose while driving, I understand it

will never drive like a newer car but I want to make it the best it can be.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Tom V

It seems like the shudder must be something with the torque tube Buicks...mine did that when I first got it and it was only running on 7...sooo, make sure you're running on all 8 and that your idle speed isn't too high...that seems to make it worse too...good luck...

Do you mean the trans is shuddering under load backing up? If so, check the trans thrust pad for tightness and condition. It could also be the reverse band slipping. As for the looseness in front end my guess is a combination of wear in the A-Arm bushings, king pins, and possibly tie rod ends. Bias ply tires will magnify the effects of the above.......Bob

Guest Straight eight

My Dad's 48 did that from brand new, we never were able to get rid of that shudder in 98,000 miles. Not that the dealer tried. Sure did love that Dyna Flow. Leave her in drive at a traffic light, if after beginning to accelerate, a little competition came up on the right, leave the gas to the floor, and slip her into low. Chirp--and away we go!!!