BeetleJuice Reatta

My '90 Reatta has some nutty electrical problems. Please any tips would be greatly appreciated. Took "BeetleJuice" to AC repair shop 'cause AC only worked in Econo Mode. AC shop said they only had to RE-set the Computer and AC has been fine since. Question, how can I re-set the Computer for future spells?<P>Currently, the dash display only shows 'ERROR' and on bottom left says electrical problem. This comes and goes. Some days display and all gauges work fine. Again could this be Corrected by re-setting the computer? Test button works fine and illuminates all gauges. I love "BeetleJuice" but sometimes he drives me crazy.<P>Any ideas Greaaaatly Appreciated.<P>Tks - Jay<P> qdis@airmail.net

Short of replacing the IPC, you could try reseating the connector on the rear of the cluster. Either pull it out and reinstall, or, remove the cover under the steering column and look for the big connector on the rear of the cluster, and press it onto the back of the IPC. It is tough to see, let alone get to. This may help as this connection seems to have a fair amount of slop in it and it is designed to self install when the cluster is replaced, so it doesn't engage as far it could due to the tolerances needed to be sure it doesn't damage the rear of the cluster. You could try something as simple as press on the front of the IPC to see if it will seat any deeper.

If the bcm locked out the a/c controls, it must have set a trouble code. Any idea what code(s) were set? clearing the codes(re-setting the computer) will get things working until the problem re-appears. The easiest way to do this yourself is to disconnect the battery for a minute or so. <P> The most common a/c problem to set a code is low refrigerant(code 60 or 66 I believe). The computer locks out compressor control to avoid damaging the compressor. I would think an a/c shop would have picked up on this, since this is a feature of a lot of GM products, so it is probably electrically related to your other problem. Re-seating the connections is a good place to start. You might want to also clean the power and ground junctions by the battery.