transmission removal

okdave

today i removed the transmission from my lz. i followed the instructions given by mentors on this site. while it wasnt easy i didnt experience any real problems. it took me about 6 hours. thanks to every lincolnite that offered their advise and tips. david

Hi David,

Which method did you use to remove your transmission? It can be removed through the inside of the car, but that requires removing the rear axle and the front seat - a LOT of work. The other way is to remove the engine and transmission as a unit - also a LOT of work. I've done it both ways and I guess the best way depends on your goal.

I think I'll probably pull the engine and transmission together when I'm ready to install an overdrive transmission in my '41 Continental. That way I get to replace the front engine mounts and I can leave the front seat, rear axle, and brake lines alone. Mating the engine to the transmission after replacing the clutch is easier out of the car as well.

i took tranny to tulsa yesterday and jim of jims transmissions tore it down. here was damage--cluster gear and low reverse sliding gear were missing teeth. he confirmed that the broken weld repair to the shift lever/shaft allowed the tranny to go into second while still in low. jim has two barns full of new and used ford and lincoln tranny parts and i think thats all he works on. he is very knowledgable and comes with good recommendations. here is his contact info if anyone needs it. he promised my tranny back in three or four days. he also had a side plate in near new condition to replace my worn and broken plate. it has no play in levers or shafts.

jim perkins

jims transmissions

5108 w 21 street

tulsa, ok 74107

1-918-5840580