Hershey where did it go !

Guest rcirilli

Guest rcirilli

I went to Hershey for a Museum meeting yesturday and as I drove down 39 I couldn't believe my eyes ! If I haven't been going to the car show for over 25 years I would not have thought I was in the right town. The entire Chocolate field is an asphalt lined parking lot. The green field is overturned dirt with a stadium rising from the ash. The old treed area by the train sign is gone. This should be a real interesting year. I wish I would have had a camera so I could post some pictures. This will truely be a new era of mad people.

Guest rcirilli

If it's Dry maybe, it simply doesn't look like the same place. The Hershey region should have a lot of fun laying this one out. The White field is the same.

Why put out negative PR that could be detrimental to the success of the Fall Meet when there are still a "full 4 months" until the show. The way construction equipment works so rapidly & efficiently these days I cannot fathom getting everyone into a negative mood for probably no reason.<P>Reminds me of the years of reconstruction of Rt. 30 through Lancaster. Everyone is complaining non-stop, but, as they finish sections everyone is saying this is great. One time I heard a trucker complaining excessively about the time frame. I told him to stop his rig, go to the foreman, and, tell him how to finish the job by 8:00 tomorrow. (He had no response.)<P>Just relax. Premature negative assumptions could "really" do damage to the hard work Hershey Region exerts.<P>Regards, Peter J. wink.gif" border="0

Guest rcirilli

No negativity was intended, There are complainers every year and I'm sure this one won't be any different. My observation was connected with the change in the landscape. Changes in the past were from field to field not field to asphalt. That's all!

heizmann, there will probalby be a buch of mad people. All those vendors from the Chocolate field that have pitched tents in the past decades. With the new asphlat, they won't be allowed to drive the stake into it.<P>rcirilli, I love to see a couple of pictures on here if you could take them.<P>As for the changes and the Yellow "rice patty" field. tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0 I'm in the White field. tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0tongue.gif" border="0 Oops, I think I just heard someone thinking of a change there. Dang it. wink.gif" border="0 Seriuosly, hope things are done by fall and things are nice for the meet.<P>Question: if they keep paving everything, what is going to happen to those of us that have gone for years? We won't be able to walk through the fields. We won't be <I>sliding through the mud !!</I><p>[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

Since when did stating the true facts of a situation become negativism? That is what rcirilli did and I do not think he should be faulted for telling the truth.<P>Thanks, Bob, for telling it like it is. It may save someone from making a 5000 mile mistake this fall.<P>I honestly believe all will be OK for Hershey 2002, but right now there are problems for 2001, and hiding from the facts will not make the problem go away. <P>But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. ~~ hvs

Guest rcirilli

2001 is definately the challenge year. The changes will bring a lot of good things. When it's all done the only day boots will be needed is the day we go to the white field. There will be a complete re-organization of layout, and our flee marketing. I had a lot of those spots memorized. Softer shoes are probably in order. Maybe Rick can get some pics, if not I will try when I go in for the July meeting. Hay, tours change but we keep going. That doesn't we can't have fond memories of some favorites!

Guest rcirilli

Rick, point well made. I usually buy through away cameras then have a disk made when they are developed. That's a poor mans digital. Oh well someone will come along with modern equipment soon !

Bob: I was only thinking of the best interest of the efforts of the Hershey Region, NOT a "NEGATIVE" (hiding of data as Howard alluded. I think there is a fine line there.<P>Anyway, I fault myself. I am not as experienced as you folks, in that, I think "car show" and not the efforts of the vendors, of which, most on this forum who are frequent respondents appear to be both vendors & vehicle participants.<P>Sen-loi Novaman...

heizmann ~ Please re-read my post. I said "hiding <B>FROM</B> the facts, not hiding <B>OF</B> the facts. Totally different meaning. smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

heizman ~ You sound offended by my post frown.gif" border="0 <P>I certainly did not mean to offend.<P>You misquoted me and all I wanted to do was correct the misimpression your quote gave.<P>It's probably a fault of mine that I prefer to be quoted accurately. frown.gif" border="0 <P>Sorry shocked.gif" border="0 ~ hvs

Howard:<P>I stand corrected: "hiding from". OK?<P>The basic point I am trying to make should be understood by anyone: "Send out photos, which will just add to the negativity the Fall Hershey already is receiving, and, be done with it." As I posted earlier, go ahead.<P>I can only assume that you folks will have the common courtesy to phone Hershey Region and let them know of the Photo Project. And, of course, tell them that someone will monitor the statistics of who will see the photos and decide on the spot not to attend. To me, that's only fair to everyone... Hershey Region,vendors, car entries, etc. All will be on the same page.<P>That is all I am going to say on this subject, or, others for that matter. <P>Have a nice day.<P>Peter J.

Wouldn't it be a plus for the Hershey Region to take the lead of publishing photos and updates of what's happening on the various fields of the flea market?? I believe there are enough of us, including the silent ones that just read this stuff, to stay tuned about the field conditions. In this way we can begin thinking about our plans to set-up and display the stuff. Obviously, the brown field folks need to understand how to tie down tarps etc without using the stakes of the past. The rest of us need to know if anything has been done to improve impassible, opps, impossible conditions in the yellow and blue (and sometimes white) fields. <P>I know for my plans that if weather is anything like normal and nothing has been done to yellow, I will probably have a "buy only" year again. Not setting up to see almost no one come down our row after the first day/night of rain. I did enjoy the look and buy part last year, but still wish there had been a few sells rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>Anyway, Hershey Region, keep us up to date on what's happening on the fields. Pictures would be great..<P>Chuck

Peter J ~ OK smile.gif" border="0 ~ hvs smile.gif" border="0<P>Ccar ~ My, what a radical observation. shocked.gif" border="0 <P>Since when is the duty of the customer[AACA members buying spaces] to keep the seller [Hershey Region] appraised of what they are doing and thinking as purchasers of spaces. <P>When I was in business it was my job to serve the purchaser, and not his duty to serve me and keep me up to date on the latest trends. rolleyes.gif" border="0 <P>We the purchasers of flea market spaces owe the Hershey Region <B>NOTHING</B> beyond the payment for our spaces and abiding by the flea market rules. Or am I operating from an outdated play book? confused.gif" border="0 <P>Something seems strange here. Criticizing the members for becoming aware of the conditions as they currently exist. confused.gif" border="0 <P>hvs<p>[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Guest rcirilli

Ccar, for what it's worth I think I'll go to the mud fields first this year, then the White and then the paved spots. I spent a couple of hours in the mud fields on Friday last year and got some real deals. Open up I'll be there.

hvs,<P>I thought I had said what you said in 2nd paragraph about serving the customer. At least that what I thought the words said. They, Hershey Region, should be keeping us, the customer, appraised as to what's happening. Agree?? grin.gif" border="0 <P>Just my opinion!!<P>Chuck

heck, all I was interested in was what things looked like. frown.gif" border="0 This is only mid-June and there is plenty of time for more work to be done before Oct. I guess if there is going to be this much controversy over a couple of pictures frown.gif" border="0, I'll have to just add another half hour - 45 min to a thriteen hour drive rolleyes.gif" border="0 for the Founder's Tour, just to see how things are coming along. Howard, if there are no photos here by the Founder's Tour, I'll have several on my digital camera. grin.gif" border="0

Chuck ~ That is exactly what you said!! I just got so enthusiastic in my agreement that I said it again to re-enforce your position. <P>Sometimes I get a bit sarcastic in some of my responses. rolleyes.gif" border="0 I was trying to support your statement about who should inform who.<P>I'm still a little burned about Cirilli being criticized for his first post.<P>hvs<p>[ 06-16-2001: Message edited by: hvs ]

Guest rcirilli

Not to worry hvs, I'm used to that in my line of work. Life's to short to take anything like critics to serious. I lisson and sometimes I even learn something.

Well folks Hershey is Hershey and no matter if it rains and I am in mud up to my knees I will still be there! I wait all year for this show and a little construction isn't going to stop me from being there.

Chuck, that's an excellent idea. If anyone from the Hershey Region reads this forum, maybe they can pass it along to post photos of the progress. It would sure relieve the rumors and the misinformation that flies around. What better PR avenue could they ask for besides this forum?<P>And I agree, come rain, snow, sunshine, wind or hail, I'll be there as well. However, good weather sure boosts sales(plus Irene doesn't mind watching the spaces). wink.gif" border="0wink.gif" border="0