1971 Riv GS?? Help

Guest Gee_Rydes

Guest Gee_Rydes

I just bought this car and in my limited research, it appears as thought there are 3 main characteristics to identify a 71 GS. Unfortunately, the air cleaner is MIA, but the car does have emblems. Should the block ID code say TA or TR for the GS. I thought I read it should say TA for a GS, but maybe that is specifically for the GS model, not the Riv with a GS option.

Is there also a trans code that would help me?

Thanks for your help as this is my first Boat. Note the term "first"...could mean more on the horizon?

This one is very simple. Engine should be a TA code with matching VIN number. The VIN is stamped on the front pass side block face right under the head. As I recall the VIN can't be seen unless the Alternator and/or A/C compressor is removed. If I was buying 71GS, I would go to the trouble of checking this.

It should have the 3.42 posi rear axle including a larger dia pulley on the A/C compressor that comes with the 3.42 ratio. No special tranny for the GS in 71, though the VIN is stamped on the tranny too.

If everything else is in place except the TA engine, it could still be a GS if someone replaced the original engine but I'd want to see some documentation on that if I was buying. Now, if its a TR engine with matching VIN, then no way it was ever a GS. Since 455s were so common for several years if the engine was replaced theres a good chance it would not be a TR anyway.