hood insulation adhesive?

Guest dcdpgh

Guest dcdpgh

I am planning to replace the nasty hood insulation pads on my car and saw in the Service Manual that it calls for adhesive on the back side of the pads. I pulled one of the existing pads and there seemed to be evidence of adhesve that had long ago deteriorated, and the only thing holding the pad inplace (securely) now was the perimeter flanges. I test fit one new pad and it seems to fit tightly without any adhesive. Is the adhesive really necessary, and if so do I need anything special (heat resistant)? All my past experience doing this was on 70's cars that used push clips to hold a large single pad in place. Any input is appreciated.

Guest dcdpgh

As a follow up, a credible source informed me that 3M High Strength 90 Adhesive works well for this application. Available in most hardware and home improvement stores. I found it in Home Depot.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest oakland

When I installed hood insulation in my 63 Rivera, I used 3M Super Trim Adhesive (08090). It says on the can that it is used for hood silencer pads where high strength and heat resistance are needed.