Gas Lights

I'm not sure what was originally used, but I think that if you were ever planning to use them, it might work well and look great to just strip and polish them and hit the steel buckets with gun bluing. A nice satin blue-black finish that would never burn off, just gradually get deeper or get a bit brown/red tint to it from the heat.

Hey; sdbraverman.... The headlight buckets of acetylene lamps can be satisfactorily painted with a generic high temp. enamal. Yes, the flame is hot. However, it is concentrated and reflected away from the painted shell. On the other hand, the chimney should carry away the soot and heat.

Regards; oldiron

• 1 month later...

For the outside, just a good quality automotive paint should work. For the lamp interior, use rustoleum BBQ black, same as you would use to paint your back yard BBQ grill. Its a nice flat heat resistant paint that should work fine in your gas lamps. As was mentioned earlier, the chimney is the hottest part of it all. The lamp body, mirror and lens don't get hot enough to burn paint off. Ive not used my lamps but have seen others use them without burning off the paint.

Terry

• 1 month later...

The chimney and rim may get hot, but the bodies shouldn't get hot enough to burn enamel paint. That's why the chimney and rim are usually made of brass, or are nickel plated steel.

Make sure the burners are oriented front-back, not side-to-side. A lot of time you see burners oriented side-to-side. That makes the flame fan out front to back and may overheat and crack the mirror in the back.