1953 nailhead bent intake pushrods

bigdaddydon

Im at my wits end. If anyone has encuntered this please help!The engine wasnt running. The intake push rords were bent. Some of the valves were stuck open when I got the car. I took the heads off had them built.I bought new pushrods for a 53 motor. I put it all back together it ran great. After about 100 miles it started missing. Then it quit running I pulled it back apart.The intake push rods were all bent again. I bought new lifters thinking they were the culprit. When I installed the rocker arms the push rods were bottomed in the lifers on the intakes. Anyone ever heard any thing like this happening and a remedy?

Either 1956 lifters (which will work if you use the shorter 56 pushrod) were installed or generic shims were installed under the outter valve spring, which covered the recess that the inner spring sits in. Both will result in binding causing bend pushrods, broken rockers and rocker shafts and and a bent cam.

Willie

Only time I have heard of bent pushrods is when an engine has dropped the timing chain, or in the case of a Pontiac, the timing gears were sheared off. I will confess don't know a lot about the 50's engines, just a thought.

I'm no Buick man, but I got out the ol' manual..

Quoted from "Motors' manual printed in 1955-----

Installing chain & sprocket

Turn the camshaft so the keyway points straight down towards the crankshaft. Turn the camshaft so asd the place the Nos 1 and 4 pistons are on TDC.

Place the chain over the camshaft and crankshaft sprockets so that the copper colored washers on the chain are aligned with the timing marks stamped on the front face of the two gears. Then install the sprokets together with the chain on the two shafts.

The related picture shows, looking at the front of the engine, that the marks on both sprockets are just a touch past 3 o'clock when assembled correctly.

If you don't have a manual, don't touch another thing until you get one.

Good luck.