Taking it to the extreme

Guest Hal Davis (MODEL A HAL)

This is probably taking it to the extreme, but has anyone ever entered a chassis only into AACA judging? We are all familiar with "As it left the factory, not how it left the dealer." Specifically, I was thinking about my 1922 Ford TT truck. Ford did not offer cabs or bodies until 1924. All TT's before then left the factory as chassis only. Bodies were built by the the owners or coach builders, after the sale. Could I restore my chassis and enter it into AACA events? Almost sounds like a shoe in as there are few interior or exterior points to be taken. I suppose the downside is that the engine and undercarriage are much more visible, so more discrepancies are likely to be caught by the judges. What are your thoughts on this?

Hal Davis

Back in 2003 Bob Vintner entered his Dodge Power Wagon at the Spring Meet in Carlisle, PA with the cab and chassis and won a Senior Award with it. A month later he had the same truck at Metropolis where he had the box on the frame.

If you click on the photo forum and look under both the Metropolis and Carlisle meets, you'll see the truck. I just checked and the pictures are still there (I took those pictures myself).

I don't believe there is anything in the rulebook saying that you can't. You know the vehicle was delivered from the factory with the cab and chassis, and if that's what you bring, that's what it is. Yes the chassis judge can see things a little better, but on the flip side, the less that's on that vehicle, the less there is for the judges to take points from.

We had toyed with doing the same thing with our fire truck, but chose to bring it out as a fire truck. I am familiar with some vehicles that have won several awards that were fire trucks that are now something other than a fire truck.

Thanks. Actually, it came from the factory with no cab either. Just a firewall, hood, front fenders and running boards. You had to sit on the gas tank to drive it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> You had to sit on the gas tank to drive it. </div></div>

Some of the Willys Jeeps the driver's seat was a option. There again, you sat on the gas tank to drive it.

The concept of "as it left the factory" (to the extreme) has already been tried. I don't remeber when it was other than I was told about it back in the eighties. A guy showed up with the bumpers for his car wrapped and tossed in the back seat. This was the way the car was shipped from the factory. I want to say it was a "T" but not sure. The car was shipped this way because without the bumpers on them they caould put more cars on the train car. I believe I was also told points were taken because the car was designed to have the bumpers on it, not like a option where it may or may not come with the item.

I would think <span style="font-weight: bold">just the chassis</span> would not be accepted. That's my feelings on it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would think <span style="font-weight: bold">just the chassis</span> would not be accepted. That's my feelings on it. </div></div>

The thing is, not only is that the way it left the factory, that is the way it left the dealer. That is how it was when you bought it. Cabs and beds were the owner's responsibility up until 1924. I think you could still get a chassis after that, but in '24 they started offering them with cabs.

This same question about a chassis (with no body) in the commercial class came up at judging school in Kalamazoo this past weekend. I answered it and confirmed with the Vice President of Class Judging, Hulon McCraw that I had replied correctly. As long as the vehicle owner has documentation that the vehicle was delivered from the factory that way, it will be accepted for AACA judging.

Rick Lay

Chairman - Judges Training

Thanks Rick. Not being real fimilar with the commerical classes and some of the issues (like this) that can arrise there, that's why I stated my post as "my feelings" and not "it is this way" and also notified you, Hulon and Randy of this thread so we could get a definate answer. Again, thanks.

The topic warrants some additional discussion. What class would you enter it in? Since the bare chassis was a special order item (it could be bodied with either a commercial truck style body or as a depot-hack/Station Wagon kind of vehicle), the class you pick for it would be determined by what the vehicle was intended to be. If you are going to call it a production vehicle it is the body that defines it. Perhaps it would be most appropriate to enter it as a commercial vehicle - but then the difference between production and commercial would be the body. Interesting discussion because I have a 1915 chassis that was never bodied. It would make a nice display item but in what class? Perhaps HPOF or a "Do Not Judge" would fit best? I want to make it a panel truck eventually, but until then...

Terry

How about one of these classes?

10a. Ford “T”, brass radiator . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1909 - 1912

10b. Ford “T”, brass radiator . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1913 - 1916

11. Ford “T”, steel shell radiator . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1917 - 1927

Since your truck is a TT it was always supposed to be a truck - my previous post was addressing the bare chassis that could be used either way. Sorry for the confusion.

Terry

Commercial vehicles was the assumption I was under. I don't think I could get away with Class 11. However, there were indeed T chassis as well as TT chassis. I'm certainly no expert, but I would think those would have to go in the Commercial class, too. The Huckster would be commercial in my opinion, but the Station Wagon does kinda blur the line, doesn't it?